Details: Salary DOE.
ABOUT THE OAKLAND PROMISE:
The Oakland Promise Brilliant Baby program seeks to advance the healthy development of babies born to economically marginalized families by supporting their parents in a way that reduces financial stressors and bolsters their optimism and engagement in the critical first months and years of their baby's life. Brilliant Baby is one of four programs within the Oakland Promise working to ensure that that every child will graduate from high school with the expectation, skills and resources to complete college and be successful in the career of their choice. The Oakland Promise is nonprofit under the fiscal sponsorship of the oakland Public Education Fund.
Implemented in partnership with infant home visiting programs and pediatric practices, Brilliant Baby establishes college savings accounts seeded with $500 for babies born into low-income and under-resourced families. Brilliant Baby parents also are offered the chance to participate in a Coaching & Savings Program designed to support them as they pursue their hopes and dreams for their family. Our team of supportive and caring financial coaches help parents set and pursue their financial goals, such as gaining greater control over their finances, credit improvement, debt reduction, business development, and building savings. Brilliant baby Financial Coaches receive intensive Coaching Training, developing knowledge and skills to implement nationally recognized coaching methodologies. Brilliant Baby contracts with Sage Financial Solutions to manage our Financial Coaching Program.
ABOUT THE OAKLAND PUBLIC EDUCATION FUND:
The Oakland Public Education Fund is the fiscal sponsor for the Oakland Promise and the Brilliant Baby Program. The Ed Fund leads the development and investment of community resources in Oakland public schools so that all students can learn, grow, and thrive. The Program Associate will be an employee of the Oakland Public Education Fund.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Deliver 1:1 Financial Coaching services to Brilliant Baby parents and caregivers
- Assist participants in developing financial goals and creating action plans
- Assist participants in articulating parenting priorities and offering resources and referrals to support those goals.
- Communicate effectively with participants by engaging in active listening and critical questioning.
- Monitor and document participants' progress toward their financial goals through assessments, progress reports and case notes in Salesforce case management database.
- Identify and connect participants with financial products and services.
- Make appropriate referrals to community based providers for credit, housing, health and wellness, as necessary.
- Organize and deliver Financial Education workshops for Brilliant Baby parents/caregivers
- Undertake outreach and recruitment
- Manage workshop logistics
- Create or modify workshop content as needed
- Support the overall Brilliant Baby Financial Coaching and Savings program with planning, promotion and logistics.
- Maintain a working understanding of industry practices.
- Participate in evaluation of services and recommend improvements as necessary.
- Establish working relationships with community partners.
QUALIFICATIONS KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE:
- Accredited Financial Counselor certification (or equivalent experience and willingness to complete certification)
- Financial Fitness Coach Core Competency certification (or equivalent experience and willingness to complete certification)
- Bachelor's degree in Social Work or related field preferred
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with others; able to work independently and take initiative.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suites including Word, Excel and Outlook
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work flexible schedule (required to work some evenings/weekends)
- Bilingual preferred: English and Spanish, Mandarin/Cantonese or Arabic
- Familiarity with Salesforce
- Experience or education in early childhood development, education, and/or asset-building strategies to address poverty or other anti-poverty work.
- Some direct experience working with children, families and community
- Knowledge of and connections to Oakland communities
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY DISCLOSURE
The Oakland Public Education is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
- Generous Sick Time & Vacation Time Accrual
- Generous Paid Holidays
- Health, Vision, and Dental
- 401(K) with no employer matching
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
We are looking for candidates with availability to start immediately, and encourage you to apply if you are interested in and qualified for the position.
TO APPLY: Send a single PDF (NOT a Microsoft Word document) of a resume and thoughtful cover letter to email@example.com with "Brilliant Baby Financial Coach - [Your Name]" in the subject line. Please use your last name and first initial (ex: Doe_J) as the filename of your PDF containing your resume and cover letter.
Failure to follow these instructions may delay the review of your application. Applications will be reviewed immediately and candidates with the best fit will be contacted for interviews. Unfortunately, the volume of applications will prevent us from responding to all applications received.