474 Valencia Street Suite 280
Job Title: Tenant Empowerment Organizer
Department: Community Engagement
Reports to: Community Engagement Coordinator
Job Status: Full-time/Nonexempt
Compensation: D.O.E., medical, dental, vision and retirement plan
About Our Organization:
Mission Housing Development Corporation develops high-quality, well-managed, affordable, sustainable homes and communities that promote the self-sufficiency of low and moderate income families, seniors, and persons with diverse needs. The Community Engagement Coordinator and their staff seek to educate, train, and organize affordable housing residents around relevant issues.
This position will be responsible for leading the outreach, educational and tenant leadership development aspects of the program, including training development, facilitation, and logistics at Valencia Gardens, an affordable housing site owned by Mission Housing. The position will be aided by executive staff, as well as staff from the Resident Services Department.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Supports the Community Engagement Coordinator with all administrative and logistical details related to the development and delivery of resident trainings, and leadership development.
· Works with Community Engagement Coordinator to design and implement program for residents.
· Facilitates trainings for resident program.
· Performs necessary research for trainings.
· Seeks out expert speakers/trainers if/when needed.
· Perform/assist with other training and leadership development duties as assigned by Community Engagement Coordinator.
- Assists with creation and production of educational training materials.
- Attends and assists (if/when needed) with ongoing resident meetings with Resident Service Coordinator(s).
- Develops and maintains a collection of curricula and training materials.
- Holds leadership development meetings with program participants.
- Creates and maintains leadership development charts with program participants.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write reports, make presentations, facilitate meetings, and conduct trainings.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, Google Documents, Word and PowerPoint, as well as working knowledge of spreadsheets and database software.
- Strong commitment to the housing movement and/or social justice work.
- Demonstrated ability to write curricula, using a variety of adult teaching techniques appropriate for action-oriented education.
- Ability to develop and maintain good working relations with diverse membership and staff.
- Special interest in building power among affordable housing residents to fight for social, economic and racial justice.
- 2 years previous experience working as a community organizer and/or educator with low-income people.
Mission Housing Development Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ethnic background, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, or disabilities. Please let us know if you need any special accommodations.
Mission housing Development Corporation is a drug free work place as required by the “Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988”
100% employer-paid medical/dental/vision care for eligible employees and dependents. Also,retirement plan available.
Minimum Education Required