Details: commensurate with experience
1025 Vermont Avenue, NW
Position: The World Justice Project’s Operations team is seeking a full-time paid employee at the WJP’s office in Washington DC. While the position is based in Washington DC, the Accountant would be responsible for maintaining daily contact with the WJP team in Mexico City and completing administrative tasks related to WJP’s various projects in Mexico. The position reports to the Director of Finance.
• Process invoices and payments in the Accounting system;
• Assist in the monthly reconciliation of GL accounts: asset, liability, and some expense accounts;
• Review each supporting documentation very carefully to ensure compliance with donor’s requirements and organization procedures;
• Maintain financial security by following internal controls;
• Recommend financial actions by analyzing accounting options;
• Maintains accounting controls by preparing and recommending policies and procedures;
• Reconcile financial discrepancies by collecting and analyzing account information;
• Respond to internal and external customers’ inquiries;
• Answer accounting procedure questions by researching and interpreting accounting policy and regulations;
• Record semi-monthly payroll in accounting system on a timely basis and ensure correct accounting treatment;
• Assist with data collection and analysis for annual budgeting and forecasting;
• Assist with external annually audit preparation;
• Support the Mexico and Singapore offices of the World Justice Project regarding financial-related matters;
• Comply with federal, state, and local financial legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, and advising management on needed actions;
• Assist Director of Finance in compiling special financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends;
• Protect operations by keeping financial information confidential;
• Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, participating in professional societies;
• Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed;
• Serve as a back-up for Director of Finance;
• Perform other duties as assigned for the purposes of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the department.
Qualifications and Skills:
• 2 years of Accounting experience: preferably in AP, or accounts reconciliation;
• In-depth knowledge of accounting practices and GAAP rules;
• Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel;
• Proficiency in an accounting software package required, INTACCT preferred;
• Proficient in Spanish;
• Experience handling reporting requirements for U.S. government contracts/grants is a plus.
• Attention to detail, the ability to multi-task and excellent communication skills are all essential to this position;
• Encourages and practices critical thinking and creative problem solving;
• Is self-reflective and empathic;
• Recognizes the influence of workplace relationships on outcomes and results;
• Maintains a respectful and accepting approach to others;
• Awareness of the influence of the larger context on individual behavior;
• Collaboratively and creatively supports the work efforts of colleagues at all levels and in all areas of the organization.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish and English
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email a cover letter, resume, and reference information (1-3 reference contact information, past supervisors and employers preferred) to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “LAST NAME, FIRST NAME – Accountant Application”. Please send all application documents at once. This position will remain open until filled. Due to the high volume of applications received, we are only able to follow up directly with candidates selected for interviews. No phone calls please.