525 East Cotati Avenue
The Animal Legal Defense Fund is pleased to announce a fellowship position with the Animal Legal Defense Fund Animal Law Institute, a first-of-its-kind program that, by training classes of promising litigators in strategic impact litigation, will further Animal Legal Defense Fund’s mission to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals through the legal system.
Term of Employment: Full-time – Beginning in the fall of 2019 and will last for approximately two years. Position will be based in Cotati, California.
Reports to: Director of Litigation
Litigation Fellows in Animal Legal Defense Fund’s Litigation Program are responsible for the day-to-day management of their assigned cases and projects, including ensuring the completion of all necessary research, filings, and other aspects of litigation. Litigation Fellows are also responsible for assisting the Director of Litigation in developing new cases.
· Act as counsel under the supervision of a Staff Attorney or the Director of Litigation, and be responsible for all research, filings, and other aspects of litigation, for all assigned cases and projects.
· Take lead in developing their skills as a litigator, through filings, appearances, and arguments, where appropriate.
· Research and develop novel legal theories and strategies, as well as fact patterns, for new cases.
· Oversee drafting, editing, and submission of amicus curiae briefs on behalf of Animal Legal Defense Fund.
· Coordinate and collaborate with Criminal Justice Program staff on cases that have, or could have, both civil and criminal components.
· Work with Communications and other departments to answer questions on civil legal issues and procedures, and to propose, draft, proof read and/or edit content on cases and legal developments for Animal Legal Defense Fund website, blogs, e-Update, e-alerts, newsletters, donor mailings, etc.
· Coordinate, as needed, with Animal Law Program and Pro Bono Programs staff.
· Prepare and deliver presentations for professional conferences, fundraising events, etc. when needed.
· Provide in-house expertise for staff on questions concerning Litigation Program cases, animal law civil cases in general, and legal strategy.
· Must have a J.D., excelled in law school, and be admitted to practice law in at least one state (CA preferred, but not required) (awaiting bar results ok)
· Must have graduated from law school in the last three years (Class of 2016 and after).
· Must understand and be committed to the mission of the Animal Legal Defense Fund.
· Must have excellent organizational and prioritization skills and be able to meet deadlines.
· Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Must be computer literate and have experience with software applications, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
· Must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to communicate effectively with members, supporters, co-workers, and opposing counsel.
· Must have a positive attitude and be able to work cooperatively with others and function well in a team-oriented work environment.
· We encourage all interested individuals to apply — especially people of color; women; people from low-income backgrounds; people with disabilities; people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender or anyone belonging to any other federal or state protected category.
Salary and benefits:
· The positions offer a salary of $55,000 annually, and full benefits including medical, dental, 401k, holiday and generous Paid Time Off.
· Casual office environment, including bringing in your companion animals.
· Some remote work-from-home days allowed.
The application deadline for this position is December 3, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so we encourage applicants to apply early. Applicants should email an application form, cover letter, résumé (including 2-3 professional references), original writing sample, and transcript (unofficial is okay) to Animal Legal Defense Fund’s Legal Program Administrator, Gail Evans (email@example.com).
Minimum Education Required