Civil Practice Staff Attorney-TRC/Building (Brooklyn)
- Job posted by The Legal Aid Society - New York City
The Legal Aid Society's Civil Practice is seeking a Staff Attorney for the Tenant Rights Coalition / Buildings Practice in the Brooklyn office. The Buildings Practice is an anti-displacement and tenant protection project focusing on supporting specific New York City communities facing rapid gentrification in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island. The Staff Attorney may be required to work in more than one community or borough depending on changing client needs and priorities; is required to handle tenant group representation; bring affirmative litigation to enforce tenants' rights; work with community or housing organizers; and may be asked to conduct regular intake with community-based organizations, in Housing Court, at Single Stop or other community sites.
* Client representation in City, State and federal court proceedings, administrative hearings and affirmative litigation
* Client representation and advocacy with local, State and federal agencies
* Training, community outreach and education to individuals, local community-based organizations and housing advocates
* Conduct policy advocacy on behalf of clients
* Coordination and collaborative work with other groups and organizations
* Represent the Civil Practice and The Legal Aid Society in the community
* Promote the work of the office, the Housing Law Practice and the Civil Practice
* Work with pro bono lawyers and partner organizations
* Conduct off-site intake, including during evening hours
* Other duties as assigned
Brooklyn - Civil Practice Neighborhood Office
* Excellent written and oral advocacy skills
* Excellent organizational skills
* Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a team and manage a high volume of cases
* Demonstrated commitment to and experience in public interest law and civil legal services
* Ability to coordinate and collaborate successfully with other groups and organizations
* Proficiency in languages other than English is desirable, but not required
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis so applicants are encouraged to apply early.
Only PDF documents will be accepted. If your document is not a PDF, your application will not be processed. Applications submitted without all the required materials will not be processed.
The Legal Aid Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer -- Women, People of Color, Members of the LGBTQ+ communities, Veterans, and People with Disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For technical difficulties or questions regarding this posting, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minimum Education Required