347 Bloomfield Avenue
Job Summary: JAZZ HOUSE KiDS seeks an energetic Director of Marketing & Engagement to manage all aspects of the expanding marketing and engagement initiatives at this highly regarded, award-winning community arts organization. Reporting to the President & Founder, the Director of Marketing & Engagement ensures that JAZZ HOUSE KiDS’ organizational vision and values are successfully expressed and integrated across all communication channels, programs and events —including print and online publications, web and social media initiatives, email applications, marketing and media/public relations. This person also ensures that the JAZZ HOUSE KiDS brand is consistent in its visual identity and public messaging. This is a full-time, exempt position. The position requires periodic weekend and evening work related to concerts, special programs and fundraising events, and frequent social media postings of our activities in real-time. The successful candidate will have the satisfaction of guiding a growing, highly visible music education and performance organization through its next phase of marketing and engagement and being part of a collaborative effort to develop the next generation of music makers, community leaders and global citizens. This is an excellent position for a dynamic, organized, people person who enjoys working in a fast-paced and creative environment.
- Work with the President & Founder and key team members to develop and implement the marketing and engagement strategy supporting JAZZ HOUSE KiDS’ programs, classes, special events, jazz festival, and corporate fundraising and sponsorship efforts
- Develop Marketing plans for new initiatives
- Capture, interpret, and advise leadership team on key metrics related to Marketing, Public Relations, and Media coverage
- Develop marketing materials to customize pitches for new partnerships including programs in new communities as well as programs for younger audiences
- Manage positioning and branding to ensure that Marketing partners receive appropriate recognition, stewardship, exposure, and benefits
Engagement and Branding
- Oversee the creative and editorial direction, development, production and execution of all engagement (website, print and online publications, social media, marketing and advertising)
- Provide leadership in using social media outlets such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and others to build a social media network
- Write annual report and semi-monthly e-newsletter, and edit newsletter features submitted by other team members
- Provide engagement support for membership campaigns and development materials for institutional funders and key individual donors
- Develop corporate marketing portfolio to support and cultivate sponsorship opportunities
- Manage relationships with major media partners
- Pitch specific story angles and solicit interviews with key leadership for print, news websites, trade publications, radio and TV
- Generate new story ideas to attract and generate media exposure
- Cultivate new media contacts and new media partnerships
- Oversee media relations at major events
Marketing and Branding
- Develop marketing materials: brochures, advertisements, corporate sponsorship packages, class flyers etc.
- Oversee calendar listings for classes, programs and special events
- Analyze marketing impact on enrollment and adjust as necessary to meet enrollment goals
- Manage relationship with graphic designer and oversee the development of all collateral including invitations, posters, brochures, flyers, banners, special event signage and online marketing materials
- Oversee the maintenance of Constant Contact and VIP distribution lists
- Update and maintain two websites. Improve SEO
- Maintain and grow AdWords grant account
- Manage assets of organization, including photo and video archive
- Develop content for social and other channels
Community and Digital Engagement
- Create a social media strategy for customized to multiple segments through targeted outreach
- Provide leadership in using social media outlets such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and others to build a social media network and engage with our community
- Set and achieve strategic goals related to social media metrics and campaign initiatives
- Drive change across the organization by maintaining consistent messaging and up-to-date understanding of the rapidly changing media environment
- Minimum of five years of successful marketing and engagement experience, preferably at an arts organization
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required
- Master’s Degree a plus
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to communicate the organization’s mission and interests to a local, regional and national audience
- Experiencing writing and developing collateral materials and managing a relationship with a graphic designer to create final product
- Experience managing relationship with commercial printers
- Solid copy editing and proofreading skills
- Experience managing web site content and creating content for social media platforms
- Track record of successfully pitching stories, working with media outlets across platforms, and securing print and media coverage
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to manage competing priorities effectively, handle numerous details and meet deadlines
- Required Skills: Google Analytics, Google AdWords, WordPress, Wix, Constant Contact, Facebook advertising.
About JAZZ HOUSE KiDS: Founded in 2002 by jazz vocalist Melissa Walker, President of JAZZ HOUSE KiDS, the Montclair, New Jersey-based nonprofit is a nationally regarded arts education and performance organization celebrating its 15th year. JazzTimes calls JAZZ HOUSE KiDS “one of the most successful and respected jazz education programs in the country.” Our mission is to transform young lives and open doors to the future by offering high quality, year-round musical, educational, cultural and community engagement programs for students from diverse backgrounds in grades K-12. The organization is in a period of significant growth. We’re really proud of our in-school achievements, which include providing daily music programs in underserved schools for at-risk youth, launching a jazz choir for special needs students, and putting instruments in the hands of kids who were sitting on the sidelines. We’ve been equally active outside the classroom, with the 2013 opening of our JAZZ HOUSE music studio in downtown Montclair that serves more than 250 students from 11 counties and 43 communities in New Jersey. We offer robust, year-round programs including the acclaimed JAZZ HOUSE Summer Workshop taught by our esteemed faculty, provide tuition assistance and free private lessons for more than 35% of our student body, and conduct award-winning big bands and a professional track for emerging musicians. Our programs feature internationally acclaimed artists under the direction of Artistic Chair and multiple Grammy Award winner Christian McBride. JAZZ HOUSE KiDS brings music, mentoring, education and apprenticeship to hundreds of students each week, teaching them to be lifelong learners, communicators and innovators. We believe all children deserve access to a great education in the arts!
JAZZ HOUSE KiDS is compliant with all ADA and EEOC rules and regulations of the State of New Jersey.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply: Qualified candidates passionate about JAZZ HOUSE KiDS’ mission should email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include Marketing in the subject line of your e-mail. No phone calls, please. Salary/benefits competitive with other similar sized community-based arts organizations.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or nationality.