Details: Compensation: A competitive salary with benefits will be provided. Full-Time. Flexible hours.
BROADWAY INSPIRATIONAL VOICES, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Founded in 1994 and led by Tony™ and Grammy™ nominated Michael McElroy, Broadway Inspirational Voices is a diverse, professional choir of Broadway artists, united to change lives through the power of music and service. Our Grammy™ nominated vocal group presents uniquely moving choral experiences rooted in the rich traditions of Gospel and Broadway. Comprised of the best professional performers New York City and Broadway have to offer, we are uniquely proficient in our artistry. Each performance is an exhilarating and moving musical journey reflecting our unique blend of musical theater and gospel roots.
Currently we produce two public concerts a year, and are in-demand through professional appearances, having performed with Elton John, Gloria Estefan, Sting, Vanessa Williams and many more. We’ve performed in venues like Madison Square Garden, Lincoln Center and Carnegie Hall, as well as on Broadcasts ranging from the Tony Awards to “Late Night with David Letterman.” BIV has two CD’s of Holiday Gospel music, “Great Joy, A Gospel Christmas” and “Great Joy II: Around the World.”
Hope, Inspiration, Transformation:
BIV has a robust service mission, utilizing the talent of our artists to give back to youth in need in the New York City area. We strengthen and unify these communities by providing hope and inspiration through our performances. We transform lives through music outreach service programs. These programs support the social/emotional well-being of children facing illness, homelessness, and under-funded arts programming. Our Service partners include: Ronald McDonald House-New York, Covenant House, and Mosaic Prep Elementary School in Harlem.
We are seeking our first dedicated Executive Director. Reporting to the Board of Directors and working in partnership with the Artistic Director, the Executive Director will be responsible for the overall operational management of the organization. In addition, the Executive Director will ensure the continued development, implementation, and assessment of BIV’s strategic goals, objectives, and long-range plans in all areas including programming, service mission, revenue development, and audience expansion. The Executive Director will establish and expand infrastructure, processes, and policies to strengthen the organization, and provide leadership and vision to further the fiscal health and sustainability of BIV.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Development and Fundraising:
Develop, coordinate, and execute a comprehensive strategy of financial development and support, including but not limited to:
· Develop the strategy for cultivating, securing, and sustaining corporate sponsorships.
· Pursue and secure concert sponsorships for upcoming season.
· Prepare, or oversee preparation of foundation and government grant requests and reports.
· Generate materials to support development efforts.
· Establish and support committees and task forces to implement fundraising projects.
· Together with the Board, identify and pursue new sources of contributed income—individuals, corporations, foundations/grants.
· With the board, evaluate progress toward goals on a regular basis.
Develop and implement a comprehensive marketing strategy, oversee external communications for the purpose of expanding audience reach:
- Oversee development and implementation of a comprehensive marketing plan, including press releases, advertising, calendar listings, brochures/postcards.
- Implement and monitor progress of each concert’s marketing plan.
- Increase awareness of the chorus and service mission programs with corporations, grant funding sources, general public, and other partner organizations.
- Develop an ongoing relationship with arts peers in the community.
- Identify and pursue strategic partnerships.
- Together with Board members and chorus leaders, represent the chorus at community functions.
- Together with the Artistic Director/Founder, and board chair, represent BIV to the public.
Prepare budgets and manage financial operations in accordance with approved budget and governmental regulations:
- Work closely with the treasurer on budget preparation and approval, monthly projections, compliance, and anticipation of potential problems.
- Determine, with music director and concert manager, upcoming season and administrative and operational costs.
- Prepare annual budget and variance analysis for presentation to Board.
- Monitor expenses; coordinate proper budget allocations.
- Assure compliance with all local, state, and federal tax regulations and prepare and file reports as needed.
Oversee short- and long-range planning; engage board and staff in periodic planning
- In conjunction with the music director and board executive committee, oversee short-term operational and long-range strategic planning and implementation processes.
Governance and Board of Directors:
Work with the board of directors and its officers to help them fulfill their functions:
- Attend all meetings of the executive committee and full Board.
- Assist the chair in developing and processing of agendas for the Executive Committee and Board meetings.
- Prepare written reports for presentation to the executive committee and Board.
- Assist in identifying and attracting potential new Board members.
- Offer prompt and thoughtful responses to requests for information.
- Assist and provide staff support to board committees to develop and implement their goals and objectives.
Operations and Staffing
Recognizing our transition from A.V.O. to a professionalized support structure, assess staffing needs, internal communications, and engagement booking process. Hire, train, and supervise support staff as needed/approved to achieve the organization’s goals and objectives:
- Create and maintain job descriptions for all approved positions.
- Monitor performance against objectives, taking corrective action as needed.
- Create all human resources policies, practices, and procedures and ensure that they comply with state and federal employment laws and regulations.
- Implement an administrative structure and decision-making mechanisms that promote a productive working atmosphere and effective staff relations.
- Implement internal communications mechanisms to support functionality and relations with choir membership.
- Streamline and oversee booking of engagements.
Qualifications and Traits:
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum 5 years experience in the not-for-profit sector.
- Prior experience with arts organizations and/or theatre management a plus.
- Background in fundraising/development a plus.
- Demonstrated success in organizational leadership.
- Non-profit Board experience and/or service a plus.
Key Competencies include:
- Creativity and Initiative: Identify and act on opportunities to strengthen and grow the organization.
- Organized and Accountable: Demonstrate ability to manage both short and long term goals, in order to promote success over burnout.
- Perspective and Positivity: Recognizing bigger picture of long-range growth and maturation of a 25 year organization.
This is an opportunity for a skilled and committed arts management professional to play a leadership role at a pivotal moment for this organization. BIV is poised to fulfill the vision of a recently completed strategic roadmap aimed at leveraging BIV’s unique artistry and programming for underserved youth in New York City. The successful candidate will be involved in all aspects of growing this vibrant non-profit that has incredible potential for expansion.
All applications will be treated as confidential and references will not be contacted without the candidate’s knowledge and agreement.
Broadway Inspirational Voices is an Equal Opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please use our online application to submit your resume, along with a cover letter outlining:
- Your specific interest in this opportunity.
- Most relevant experiences and skills for the position.
- Anything we should know that might not be evident in your resume/CV.
*Any questions may be directed to email@example.com