Legal Momentum, originally founded as the NOW Legal Defense and Education Fund, is the country's first and longest serving legal advocacy organization advancing gender equality. For the past five decades, we have employed three main strategies—high-impact litigation, educational initiatives, and policy advocacy—to strengthen gender equality under the law and in our society. Our areas of focus include gender-based violence, workplace equality, educational opportunity, and fairness in the courts. Recognizing that our vision has always been inextricably linked to the work of many other justice movements, we are committed to an intersectional approach to gender equality that advances racial equality and is inclusive of all gender identities.
Legal Momentum is hiring a Program Associate to work within the Legal Department and National Judicial Education Program (NJEP). The Program Associate will ensure that legal and NJEP programmatic goals are met; provide administrative support to legal and NJEP directors and staff; administer grant funding and drawdown reporting from various sources; and contribute substantively to completion of projects which further LM and NJEP’s missions and goals.
The ideal candidate will have a deep, demonstrated commitment to the advancement and protection of women’s rights and to a fair justice system, and an understanding of non-profit organizations. The candidate will be motivated and dedicated, with the ability to work well both independently and collaboratively in a high-paced environment. The position is based in our New York City office—currently we are working on a hybrid remote/in-office schedule.
· Support day-to-day operations for the Legal Department/NJEP
· Assist in developing, researching, formatting and publication of new resources and the maintenance and updating of existing resources in both digital and hardcopy. Maintain Legal Dept/NJEP records and archives including case dockets, subject matter files and library
· Manage administrative duties associated with grant funding, including programmatic reporting and financial obligations. Provide support for grant applications. Draft activity/progress reports for board of directors, funders and others
· Support staff requests for Internet and Lexis research
· Collaborate with Communications and Development departments to develop and distribute external communications about legal programs. Contribute to the organization’s social media activity. Respond to requests for information from the public about Legal Momentum’s work and resources.
· Coordinate all intern-related activities
· Foster relationships with and respond to requests from cooperating organizations.
· Other tasks as assigned.
● Bachelor’s degree or higher and at least two years’ work experience
● Ability to prioritize and simultaneously accomplish a multitude of diverse tasks with minimal supervision
● Ability to interact appropriately with Director, Deputy Director, staff, and interns, taking direction, coordinating and supervising as necessary
● Ability to meet deadlines and flexibility to work hours necessary to meet such demands
● Extensive knowledge of computers, including high proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook and internet navigation
● Meticulous attention to detail
● Excellent writing, grammar and proofreading skills and ability to follow legal citation form with precision
● Excellent oral communication and listening skills
● Proficiency in internet research and familiarity with Lexis/Westlaw legal research
● Proven office and interpersonal skills
● Demonstrated knowledge of and dedication to women’s rights issues and public interest organizations
Legal Momentum, originally founded as the NOW Legal Defense and Education Fund, is the country's first and longest serving legal advocacy organization advancing gender equality. For the past five decades, we have employed three main…
Generous benefits package.
Generous benefits package.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Early applications encouraged. Only complete applications will be considered. Only those applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, brief writing sample, and three references by mail or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org ATTN: Program Associate Vacancy
Legal Momentum is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, race, color, religion, national origin, or sexual orientation. www.legalmomentum.org
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Early applications encouraged. Only complete applications will be considered. Only those…