Gateway Planners (2 part-time positions)
The Gateway Program of the Berkeley Age Friendly Continuum is designed to support elders taking charge of the aging experience. This prevention/early intervention effort will use a home-visiting format to support Berkeley residents to achieve their aging objectives. Gateway promotes a positive aging experience for elders and coaches to prevent avoidable illness, injury, loss of independence, and high medical costs. The Berkeley Age Friendly Continuum is a project of Ashby Village. The Gateway Program is now in the start-up phase.
About the Position:
Two Gateway Planners, under the direction of the Gateway Program Manager, will conduct home visits and engage older adult residents in meaningful and reflective conversations about their transitions in aging and how to maximize progress toward their personal objectives while taking steps to reduce avoidable negative events. In addition to identifying steps towards achieving clients’ objectives, Planners will offer a binder of resources, a small gift package, and they will offer appropriate referrals to community resources.
Our goal is to hire current or rising elders (55+) to work with a diverse set of their peers. They will conduct structured home visits using motivational techniques to help residents identify goals to get out ahead of their aging experience in a manner that will leave them in control to achieve them. Training will be provided. Ideally these Planners will live and be active in the Berkeley community.
Job Classification: Two contracted positions of up to 40% time each for $20.00 an hour for six months with continuation dependent on funding. No benefits provided.
1. High school diploma
2. Familiarity with a range or resources for older adults in Berkeley and/or Alameda County
3. Ability to work independently and efficiently and know when to seek support from the Gateway Manager and fellow Gateway Planners
4. Strong Communication Skills
5. Good judgement, dependability, accuracy & attention to detail
6. Strong skills in decision making and organization
7. Sensitivity to people of diverse cultures & backgrounds
8. Ability to establish professional boundaries with participants
9. Ability to work from home, use personal home computer for business transactions and be skilled in computer systems including e-mail, Microsoft Word
10. Driver’s License and vehicle for use on a regular basis to visit participants and attend meetings (mileage reimbursed)
1. Bachelor’s Degree especially in social work, gerontology, psychology, or related field
2. Prior work or life experience in a helping role
3. History of engagement or leadership in the Berkeley community
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Receive referrals from Gateway Program Manager and set up home visits
2. Conduct structured home visits with participants (training provided)
3. Provide follow-up as needed to answer questions and link participants to resources in the community
4. Track home visits for follow up and evaluation purposes
5. Participate in regularly scheduled Gateway Program meetings
6. Abide by all privacy and confidentiality procedures and signed confidentiality statements
7. Additional activities as assigned which may relate to helping with assembling resources and collecting donations for the program
1. A background check clearance before first day of employment
Send resume & cover letter (resumes without a cover letter will not be accepted) to Barbara Williams, Gateway Program Manager email@example.com by 5pm on Friday, October 5, 2018.
Ashby Village is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity.
Mileage reimbursement for travel. No other benefits available.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to Barbara Williams firstname.lastname@example.org
Resumes not accompanied by a cover letter will not be accepted.