Achieve Miami is searching for an inspiring, passionate, and fun-spirited individual to join our team as our Executive Director. Since launching in 2015, Achieve Miami has tripled our impact and scale while developing a structured and highly functioning organization. It is time to move from our founding era to an era of growth. We seek a skilled executive manager to lead our strategic plan, build our network of champions, and manage the execution of our programs ensuring that we grow our impact and excellence. The Executive Director will engage with a wide array of stakeholders to position Achieve Miami as an organization critical to the collaborative and innovative non-profit ecosystem in Miami. Working closely with the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will further Achieve Miami’s on-the-ground impact while also driving long-term strategy and results.
Must be available for evening and weekend responsibilities such as programming events, trips, professional development, etc. Must have a valid driver’s license and personal transportation.
The responsibilities of the Executive Director will include:
Setting Vision and Direction
- Set annual goals across all functional areas of our work that are ambitious, realistic, and aligned with our strategic plan
- Develop and lead all aspects of our growth plan
- Lead the long term strategic planning process and aligned operational plans
- Work closely with evaluation partners to develop and manage the execution of metrics to track and evaluate our effectiveness across goals and programs.
- Work closely with the Founder to establish and manage all aspects of organizational governance including building an advisory board and maintaining fiscal partnership agreements as best suit the needs of the organization.
- Manage the operational budget of >$1.5 million.
Building Relationships and Influencing Others
- Serve as the external face of Achieve Miami in the community with a wide range of partners to advance our work, including philanthropists, program partners and media
- Build strategic relationships with the local school districts, principals, funders and other key community stakeholders to ensure our model is implemented as a lever for systemic change
- Develop and lead a fundraising strategy that stewards existing champions, cultivates new champions and covers annual operating costs for programs.
- Communicate effectively to a diverse set of stakeholders to allow Achieve Miami to further define a strong brand
- Build internal relationships with staff, inspiring them to align actions to the mission/vision of Achieve Miami and maintaining strong organizational culture.
People Management & Leadership
- Develop and lead a strong team culture focused on authentic impact and results.
- Recruit, select, coach and retain diverse and talented full-time and seasonal team members.
- Manage toward ambitious goals, using data-driven decision making to monitor and address problems, improve performance and increase sustainability
- Build and coach a strong, results-driven team, increase internal staff capacity, and ensure that direct reports are maximizing their individual potential as team and organizational leaders
- Develop and maintain an organizational identity that is reflective of Achieve Miami’s core values and culture, and our commitment to a diverse and inclusive community
- Meet the needs of the team and organization by completing tasks and leading initiatives that aren’t codified or mentioned in the previous sections
Who we’re looking for:
The ideal candidate for the Executive Director role will have:
- Strong management skills: You’ve had significant experience managing others directly and through layers and are able to help your team set goals, strategize on how to achieve those goals, and celebrate wins. You are able to set a high bar and hold others accountable to meeting that bar. Non-profit leadership experience preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills: As the Executive Director, you’re responsible for building and maintaining positive relationships with the team, funders, and community partners. You are warm and generous in your relationships, thinking always about both what you’ll gain and what you have to give.
- Exemplary fundraising skills: You’re not only comfortable fundraising, but have a proven track record of fundraising success. This role requires supporting the Director of Development in creating robust fundraising strategies that cultivate support from individuals, foundations, and corporations.
- Creativity: You enjoy thinking creatively about new initiatives and projects, all grounded in the vision to create the most value we can for the students we serve.
- Self-direction: You’re the type of leader who can map out what it takes to get it done - and then you do it! You’re a step ahead of the rest of the team, always anticipating what we’ll need, whether that’s planning out a “plan B” scenario or a system to help us streamline a process.
- Data-driven solution orientation: You have a strong vision for what excellence looks like and you are able to align the team’s time and capacity towards achieving identified outcomes. You have experience collecting and analyzing data to help inform programmatic and organizational improvements.
- High quality work product: You have an extremely high bar of excellence as well as the professional development capabilities to help the team grow to reach this bar.
- Growth mindset: You know that even leaders have room to grow and are eager to improve/adjust your management and leadership style to better serve the team. You seek out regular feedback, both from the team and from the board, to continuously develop your professional skill set and leadership potential.
- Passion for equity: You have a demonstrated commitment to equity in our Miami community and see the assets present in Miami’s diverse communities. You believe that to advance equity, individuals from across our community - advantaged and disadvantaged - must play a role in advocating for change.
- Enthusiasm to do it all: You know that “doing good” isn’t always glamorous. While most days your role will involve high-level management and oversight, you’re also enthusiastic to pitch in on the small stuff (delivering supplies, making copies, etc.) when the need arises.
This will be a full-time, salary-exempt position which will pay $100,000-$125,000 annually. Medical, dental, and vision benefits are included the 1st of the month after 60 days of employment.
About Achieve Miami:
At Achieve Miami, we believe in the potential of every child. Together with partners from public and private schools, Achieve Miami designs and manages programs that extend learning opportunities for students, teachers, and education leaders. Achieve Miami is working to ensure that every child and leader has the opportunities they need to succeed through programs like Achieve Saturdays, Achieve Summer, Achieve Scholars, the Achieve Club, Achieve Elementary, and Achieve Music .
Achieve Miami is a 501(c)(3) organization. Achieve Miami’s main office is located at 1951 NW 7th Ave, Suite 600, Miami, FL 33136. You can visit www.achievemiami.org to learn more about Achieve Miami.