Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) is a multi-disciplinary arts center located in Brooklyn, New York. For more than 150 years, BAM has been the home for adventurous artists, audiences, and ideas—engaging both global and local communities. With world-renowned programming in theater, dance, music, opera, film, and much more, BAM showcases the work of emerging artists and innovative modern masters.
Reporting to the Finance Manager, the Accounts Payable Coordinator is responsible for completing payments while adhering to tight deadlines. The responsibilities include verification and reconciliation of invoices, monitoring of expenses and cash outflows, preparation of tax forms, effective communication with external & internal stakeholders, and administration of vendor payment system.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Accurately review and process pre-vouchers and ensure the accuracy of GL coding and necessary authorized signatures.
- Manage weekly computerized check runs.
- Prepare and upload positive pay files to the on-line banking system (Cashpro) and create weekly EFT file to be provided to Finance Manager for submission.
- Accurately initiate and process domestic and foreign currency wire payments.
- Ensure that all necessary withholdings are deducted from wire payments and inform Finance Manager of the withholdings to be sent to the IRS.
- Act as liaise for vendors following up on statuses of invoices.
- Responsible for maintaining A/P files and records in an organized manner.
- Create purchase orders on behalf of the institution as well as the Finance Department.
- Maintain Accounts Payable Workflow within the financial system module.
- Responsible for facilitating training sessions for new Multiview users
- Process electronic check deposits via on-line banking system.
- Reconcile corporate credit card accounts and prepare excel expense report document monthly.
- Manage institution petty cash and reconciling.
- Monitoring and reconcile travel and cash advances.
- Process annual 1099 and 1042 forms, which include preparing & issuing to vendors, sending electronic files to the IRS, while meeting all appointed deadline.
- Assist with year-end audit & inspections of A/P activity.
- Reconcile and report on stale checks on a continuous basis to supervisors.
- Perform monthly reconciliations of all assigned balance sheet accounts and A/P aging.
- Assist with special projects including development and implementation of new procedures and features to improve operational efficiency of the department.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as needed.
Required Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Minimum of 2-3 years of relevant related work experience in Accounting, Business Management & Finance, or other similar area required
- Knowledge of Multiview or similar databases preferred
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Suites; experienced with Microsoft Excel and Word required.
- Exceptional interpersonal communication with the ability to build effective relationships and work with internal and external customers at all levels.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collectively in accomplishing mutual goals.
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple work streams under pressure of tight timelines in a fast-paced environment.
- High level of integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to multitask, and manage multiple tasks (including interruptions, phone calls, etc)
- Possesses a strong attention to detail and works with accuracy.
- Ability to work independent and demonstrate problem solving skills
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to work remotely.
- Ability to work in-person.
Compensation: The role is a Union position, and will be paid in accordance with the UAW 2110 Collective Bargaining Agreement. This position is full-time non-exempt and eligible for benefits.
Application Instructions: Must complete an online application through BAM's website - no phone calls, emails or walk ins, please.
Internal Applicants must apply via the Internal Job Portal by the application deadline. Applications not submitted by the deadline may not be considered. Employees must meet all of the following criteria to be considered for an interview:
- Completed at least 1 year of continuous, active service in current position. (Positions excluded include, but are not limited to, temporary assignments, and probationary employees);
- Meet the experience and skills requirement as outlined in the job post;
- Be employed in current position for at least one year:
- Performed in a satisfactory manner without any corrective actions in the last 12 months
Brooklyn Academy of Music is an Equal Opportunity Employer. BAM recognizes that historic institutional practices lead to a non-inclusive environment and is working to address diversity and inclusion in all forms. Individuals in BAM are experiencing their own pace during this process, which is not uncommon when addressing power and privilege. The Development department supports and continues to take part in this process.