District of Columbia
The Policy Associate will work as a key member of the Sandy Hook Promise policy and advocacy team, supporting SHP’s state and federal legislative priorities in the areas of school safety, gun safety, and mental health. This person will maintain expertise in these issue areas and work with teammates to plan, develop, and implement legislative initiatives and engage our base and supporters in strategic advocacy.
The Policy Associate reports to SHP’s Vice President of Policy and Partnerships. The preference is for the Policy Associate to be based in Washington, DC.
- Conduct and support research for the Policy team in support of our policy priorities
- Draft policy briefs, fact sheets, and testimony to support federal and state policy
- Preparing written internal materials including memos and talking points
- Organize policy-relevant meetings, lobby days, and advocacy and awareness events
- Develop advocacy tools for various audiences concerning state and federal policy
- Work with Policy teammates to maintain and grow support for SHP policies
- Monitoring congressional hearings and tracking legislation and briefings.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Minimal travel (10-20%)
Desired Skills and Experience
- Commitment to Sandy Hook Promise’s mission and goals
- Bachelor’s degree in related field; advanced degree preferred
- 2+ years related professional experience
- Excellent writing, research, and verbal communications skills
- Strong analytic skills and a demonstrated ability to think strategically
- Experience in applying academic research to real-world issues and present concise explanations of complex analyses
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, follow through, and meet deadlines on key deliverables in a fast-paced environment
- Embraces and values diversity of all kinds, does not shy away from it, is open to conversations about racism and equity, and is comfortable working cross-culturally and cross-community
SHP offers a competitive salary based on experience, benefits, 401k, paid holidays and vacation.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send resume and cover letter to Lauren Alfred (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Friday, June 15 with subject line "Application: Policy Associate." People of color, LGBTQ individuals, women, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.