Details: Yearly Salary
Our flagship high school, Brooklyn Ascend High School (BAHS), opened to 9th grade students in September 2015 and will expand by a grade per year through grade 12.
We seek deans of instruction who are passionate about both curriculum and coaching - who want to spend their time discussing, preparing, and immersing themselves in the content and professional development they provide to teachers. The dean of instruction is responsible for inspiring teachers to excel in their jobs and to motivate students to achieve their highest potentials. The dean will provide instructional and administrative leadership to the teaching staff, oversee the implementation of the curriculum, coordinate assessments, and monitor students' academic performance. Deans of instruction at Ascend share a hunger for feedback and professional growth, and a dedication to excellence.
<img src="https://rs.careerliaison.com/pixel/dpb7nbzc2kwzm52p"><img src="https://analytics.click2apply.net/vpz58XoHEjEANhjmyINKVd">
At BAHS, we are looking for educators who believe in restorative practices and teach students to resolve conflicts on their own, understand the impact of their actions, and acknowledge responsibility to the school community. We believe that a true liberal arts education – which fosters and prizes critical thinking and independence of thought—cannot be joined to a no-excuses culture that emphasizes silence and compliance. It is a flagrant contradiction. We prepare students for success in college and in life by fostering agency—our students' confidence that they are in control of their own lives and can act of their own free choices, their conviction that they can assert their voice and power in the world. Discover more about BAHS.
The high school dean of instruction manages the effective implementation of curriculum and instruction, and plans and executes whole school professional development sessions. Additionally, the dean of instruction will
- Observe, coach and mentor instructional staff to ensure that teaching is at all times intentional, engaging, and rigorous, and that teachers are creating a warm, structured, and responsive classroom culture
- Monitor and assess teacher performance
- Support the lesson planning process and provide weekly feedback to teachers on their lessons
- Identify problems in academic performance and recommend and implement solutions in a timely manner
- Build smooth and efficient working relations that positively impact academics; work closely and efficiently with the school director, the school leadership team, and Ascend Learning staff to ensure student success
- Reinforce positive student behavior and establish rapport with students; communicate individual academic progress
Staff and reporting relationships:
The dean of instruction reports directly to the school director. Additional collaboration occurs with the dean of students and the Ascend network.
- Bachelor's degree required; master's degree and certification preferred
- At least 2 years of teaching experience, preferably in urban school setting
- Demonstrated success using data to drive instruction, with a strong understanding of pedagogy that drives results
- Experience coaching teachers preferred
- The ability to create a classroom environment where students feel safe, supported, and challenged
- Passion and commitment to teaching scholars in underserved areas and to closing the achievement gap
- Relentless drive to set and achieve ambitious goals
- Strong collaboration and teamwork skills
- Growth mindset and ability to use feedback to improve practice
- Experience teaching in underserved areas a plus
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Dean of Instruction