1120 Connecticut Avenue
Job Announcement: Administrative/Communications Associate
The Coalition on Human Needs was founded in 1981 to bring together organizations and advocates who promote federal policies supporting the lives of low-income and vulnerable families and individuals. CHN’s members include over 100 religious, labor, and advocacy organizations concerned with the well-being of low-income individuals, children, women, the elderly, and people with disabilities. CHN helps hundreds of national and grassroots organizations work together to defend or expand federally-funded services such as health care, housing, services for children and families, education/training, tax policy, income assistance, and nutrition. Staff members track these issues and provide advocates nationwide with timely information and action steps in support of a federal human needs agenda. For more information on CHN, please visit our website at www.chn.org.
The Coalition on Human Needs is seeking a highly motivated, well-organized, and energetic individual to work with our small staff and large network of partner organizations. We are looking for an individual who is willing to learn on the job and explore emerging uses of online technology, and to take on multiple tasks needed to contribute to the success of a small advocacy organization.
The Administrative/Communications Associate will be responsible for two main areas of work:
Office Management: 60%
· Manage CHN’s internal financial recordkeeping, invoice payments and bank deposits, working in cooperation with professional accounting services; knowledge of Quickbooks a plus;
· Manage organizational membership functions, including general outreach and information to new and existing members; organizing dues payment and reminder notices, and updating membership databases to reflect the current status of membership organizations;
· Act as primary liaison with consultant IT firm to provide technology support to staff members;
· Recruiting, training, and managing the work on interns to ensure all staff are receiving the support they need while ensuring the internship is a valuable work experience;
· Maintain a working relationship with building services. Be the point of contact for requesting specific services from building staff;
· Order supplies, manage subscriptions, maintain vendor contacts and contracts, and manage internal organizational files;
· Assist the Executive Director and other staff with preparation for Board of Directors’ and other meetings, take minutes at Board meetings, and other administrative duties as assigned.
· Oversight of CHN website, including timely updating of content and adding new content from member organizations related to CHN public policy areas. Work with staff to ensure accuracy and completeness of postings;
· Management of CHN’s email system, and other aspects of electronic communications, mastering use of blast email (Customer Relationship Management, or CRM) system, drafting email alerts, developing/maintaining listservs, analyzing metrics etc.;
· Manage all CHN social media applications, including creating content for Twitter (such as Tweetchats and Twitter storms) and Facebook; work to increase followers while organizing around specific campaigns; identify new applications for CHN use;
· In coordination with the Communications Director, help to develop and implement CHN communications and media strategy;
· Build relationships with and contacts at CHN member organizations.
· Commitment to social and economic justice issues including ending poverty and hunger through public interest advocacy and organizing around federal policies;
· Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and interact with broadly diverse individuals and organizations;
· Professional familiarity with MS Office;
· Experience in managing website content, social media, online databases, and the use of mass email technology; knowledge of platforms such as Salsa Labs and Wordpress a plus;
· Office, project management and/or administrative experience very helpful;
· Excellent writing, editing, and organizational skills;
· Experience working with media contacts and developing communications strategy a big plus;
· Ideal candidates are detail-oriented, creative, outgoing, able to balance multiple priorities and often work independently and unsupervised;
· B.A. or B.S. degree.
The Coalition on Human Needs is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary commensurate with experience. CHN offers excellent benefits including employer-paid health insurance, generous pension plan, paid sick and administrative leave, and four weeks of paid vacation.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email cover letter, resume, brief writing sample (blog post, sample tweets, or other short item preferred) and three references to email@example.com with “Administrative/Communications Associate” in the subject line. No faxes or phone calls, please. This position will be open until filled.