Chief Financial Officer / Chief Operating Officer
- Job posted by The Junior State of America Foundation (JSA)
Overview of the Role
The Junior State of America Foundation (JSAF) seeks an exceptional, experienced, and dedicated CFO/COO. This position leads the finance and operations functions and oversees information technology and human resources. The CFO/COO collaborates extensively with the CEO. The CFO/COO is a vital member of the Executive Leadership Team and has a key role in strategic planning, organization-building, and development efforts. The CFO/COO reports to the CEO and works closely with JSAF’s Treasurer, Board President, and the various other heads of departments, including Development, School Year Programs, and Summer Programs. This position directly supervises the Director of Finance and the Director of Operations.
The successful candidate will possess the qualifications and skills necessary to successfully operate in a nonprofit organization with significant fee-for-service and development revenue streams, a strong track record of youth service, a growing alumni community and public profile, and a high-achieving finance and operations team. The CFO/COO will play an essential and strategic role in developing financial and organizational models for expanding JSAF’s reach and impact, building on a sustainable financial footing. The ideal candidate has the highest level of integrity, an excellent work ethic, enjoys supervising and building a team, and has the ability to perform professionally and prioritize in a fast-paced environment. This is an outstanding opportunity for the right person to drive increased reach and impact for an 85-year-old, highly successful organization in a fast-changing political environment.
- Responsible for JSAF’s financial sustainability strategies and tactics
- Business modeling and related decisions; new initiative financial analysis
- Monthly Financial Operations and Close, working closely with the Director of Finance
- Properly account for Temp and Perm Restricted revenue and releases
- Ensure timely production of accurate monthly financial statements
- Develop and present financial reports, including forecasts and analysis
- Perform Year End Close activities
- Oversee audit engagement
- Prepare Form 990 and related State filings, 1099s and other annual filings.
- Lead annual organizational budget process
- Collaborate with program and development staff on grant budgets and reports
- Manage investments and debt
- Act as primary liaison for banking and investment
- Maintain Accounting Policies and Procedures manual; internal control documentation
- Work with the Director of Operations to oversee facilities and related phone, internet, computer, supplies, and other related support activities
- Collaborate with the Director of Finance and Director of Operations to ensure the integrity and effectiveness of critical technology functions and infrastructure, including Salesforce integration and implementation
- Oversee the Organization’s Risk Management, including safe operations reviews, and insurance requirements (Commercial, Liability, D&O, etc.)
- Review all incoming and outgoing contracts for operations and program staff
- Partner with CEO to ensure compliance with all state and federal reporting requirements with regard to lobbying; research, update, and disseminate regulations to staff in this evolving regulatory area; responsible for enhancing organizational reporting and recordkeeping of these expenses
- Support Board of Directors with regard to recordkeeping and governance requirements.
- Stay abreast of evolving area of nonprofit governance regulations and provide leadership to Board of Directors and staff to identify, develop, and complete governance changes as necessary.
Human Resources Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the CEO and Director of Operations on HR policies, staff structure, recruitment, retention, discipline, internal deployment, best practices, and annual evaluation process
- Monitor all organizational policies to ensure compliance with changes in state and federal law
- Collaborate with the Director of Finance and Director of Operations to ensure smooth functioning of all benefit plans and to evaluate cost-effective providers
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive annual compensation, commensurate with experience, and by an extensive benefits package that includes paid time off; compensatory time off; Employee Assistance Program; medical, dental and vision benefits; and a commitment to individual growth and professional development.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “JSA CFO/COO – (Your Name) in subject line. Please, no phone calls.