145 West Hanover Street
The New Jersey Chapter is one of leading and most respected environmental groups in New Jersey. We are active on many critical and important environmental issues. The Club is engaged on every major issue in the environment including climate change, clean air, clean water, cleaning up toxic sites, promoting renewable energy, and more. We are a volunteer grassroots organization that influences policy through grassroots activism, public education, lobbying, and litigation. We work to defend the environment at all levels of government including, federal, state, and local. Our chapter is part of the Sierra Club which is America's oldest, largest, and most influential grassroots environmental organization.
This is a dynamic opportunity to shape environmental policy and legislation in the state of New Jersey. On the job, you will be able to learn and advance on many environmental issues including clean water, renewable energy, open space, climate change, and more. The club also provides education and training for you to build skills that will help you advance in the organization. Join the New Jersey Sierra Club to advocate for the most important issues facing us today!
Title:Administrative Communications Assistant
Reports To: Chapter Director
Scope: The Administrative Communications Assistant performs communications duties, administrative and general office duties, coordinates chapter activities and meetings, interacts with volunteers, and responds to routine inquiries from members, volunteers, and the general public.
1. Helps write letters to government officials, comments on rules and legislation
2. Develops and implements strategic tactics for promoting Sierra Club messages and narratives, including but not limited to press releases, fact sheets, letters to the editor and op-eds
3. May conduct routine research on specific environmental issues. May assist in publishing newsletter and/or e-newsletter.
4. Helps with public outreach and media on various environmental issues, including planning events like town halls, rallies, and press conferences.
5. Performs public advocacy by attending public meetings on Club issues.
6. Helps to organize environmental campaigns by working with volunteers and media. Conducts online organizing and social media responsibilities.
7. Provides clerical and administrative support to Chapter Director/Office Manager, Executive Committee and volunteer leaders.
8. Maintains files and databases including the mailing lists, activist lists, membership, volunteers and contributors.
Knowledge & Skills:
◼ Proficiency with computer programs including Microsoft Suite word processors, spreadsheets, and database management.
◼ Proficient on social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
◼ Familiarity with Skype, Google Docs and Google Sheets
◼ Excellent writing skills
◼ Excellent oral communication skills
◼ Knowledge and experience with environmental issues, legislation and campaigns
◼ Ability to interact effectively with volunteers, members, staff and the general public.
The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan. This is a category 8 non-exempt position.Sierra Club is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce.
Please send a cover letter describing your qualifications and interest in the position to Taylor McFarland at Taylor.McFarland@Sierraclub.org as well as a one-page resume.
Minimum Education Required