The Quixote Center, a 501(c)(3) organization based in College Park, Maryland, is seeking a part-time Administrative Associate to join our team of idealist folks! We are looking for someone who believes that social justice work is worthwhile and is willing and able to manage the brass tacks of administrative work that makes such work possible.
Founded in 1976, the Quixote Center is rooted in the social justice tradition. Working in solidarity with partner organizations and affected individuals and communities, it strives to produce lasting structural change in unjust social and economic systems to support the dignity and worth of all people, but particularly those who have historically had less power. Past and current programs of the Quixote Center have included humanitarian aid, educational materials, housing, and community-building assistance in Nicaragua; reforestation efforts in Haiti; working for reform, inclusivity, and justice in the Catholic church; and campaigning for reform in the American criminal justice system, including abolition of the death penalty.
Our small but dynamic team takes on different responsibilities on an as-needed basis, so he/she should welcome the opportunity to learn new skills and develop new competencies on an ongoing basis. This position is focused on handling the daily operations of the Center, with a focus on the business side of non-profits. The new Associate will be working very closely with the Development & Communications Associate as well as the Executive Director.
· Manage account payables and receivables on a weekly basis
· Run monthly financial reports and reconcile bank statements via Quickbooks
· Filing and other organizational responsibilities (i.e. ordering office supplies)
· Make bank deposits of weekly donations
· Manage gift entry and make bank deposits at least twice a week
· Assist the development team with gift acknowledgement via email, phone or letter
· Manage calendar and filing deadlines and prepare reports for federal and state agencies
· Assist development team by arranging donor visits and coordinating grant applications
· Manage the monthly gifts process and develop recurring gift acknowledgment process
· Manage mailing lists for direct mail in Donor Perfect and email in Constant Contact
Skills and Characteristics
· Minimum 1-2 years of administrative experience
· Well-organized and flexible
· Experience with bookkeeping in Quickbooks and fundraising tasks in Donor Perfect
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
· Capable of exercising good judgment
· Sense of humor
· Some experience related to the work of the Center, such as (but not limited to) fundraising, marketing, design, accounting, grassroots organizing, event planning, writing, editing, or publishing
· Ability to engage with different constituencies (i.e. donors, volunteers, vendors)
· Experience working for an organization that focuses on multiple issues
· An outgoing personality
· Familiarity with the Catholic social justice tradition.
· Fluency in Spanish or Haitian Creole.
This position will be a salaried half-time position. Benefits include subsidized insurance, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, and a 403(b) retirement plan.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, send in your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com in Word or PDF format. In your cover letter, please highlight what skills and characteristics you have and which ones you are willing to develop or cultivate.
We plan to begin reviewing applications in the second half of November.
The Quixote Center is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool, and strongly encourages individuals from all backgrounds (including race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender identity, disability, or sexual orientation) to apply.