45 Wadsworth Avenue
Northern Manhattan Improvement Corporation (NMIC) is a community-based, not-for-profit organization founded in 1979. NMIC has grown into a leading multi-service agency with over 120 staff serving New York City with a focus on upper Manhattan and the Bronx. Our mission is to serve as a catalyst for positive change in the lives of the people in our community on their paths to secure and prosperous futures. Integration is the cornerstone of NMIC’s programs and our staff can identify and address a broad array of immediate needs through comprehensive crisis intervention services. With their matters resolved, clients move seamlessly to capacity building services through our holistic programs designed to transition individuals and families to self-sufficiency.
- Our Legal Services, Social Services and Weatherization programs meet community members’ basic needs including legal representation in immigration related matters, housing, financial services and health related matters.
- Our Community Organizing program empowers residents to collectively secure long term and larger scale improvements to their basic needs.
- Our Education & Career Services program imparts individual community members with the practical tools necessary to build secure and prosperous futures.
- Job Title: Immigration Paralegal
- Department: Legal Services
- Reports To: Coordinating Immigration Attorney
- Location: Main Office: 45 Wadsworth Avenue, New York, N.Y. 10033
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
NMIC’s Immigration Paralegals work closely with our highly skilled and experienced interdisciplinary legal team. Paralegals provide assistance to NMIC clients in a variety of immigration matters and collaborate with partner organizations, including but not limited to ActionNYC.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct intake to determine eligibility for immigration benefits and/or legal representation.
- Prepare and file immigration applications on behalf of clients.
- Conduct legal research where appropriate.
- Remain informed and abreast of recent developments in immigration law.
- Attend ongoing educational trainings and forums, at NMIC and at other agencies.
- Translate legal documents from Spanish into English.
- Refer clients for necessary legal and social services within and outside of the agency.
- Maintain client database, client files and correspondence.
- Participate in all unit, agency meetings, legal trainings and outreach events.
- Team oriented approach and available to complete additional assignments as required
- Bachelor’s degree preferred. Associate’s degree or paralegal certificate will be considered.
- Preference will be given to applicants with experience in immigration law.
- Strong organizational and writing skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and use of spreadsheets.
- Fluency in Spanish is required.
NMIC IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
NMIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively encourages candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply for employment. Applicants must meet the minimum qualification requirements. A combination of education and experience will be considered unless specifically stated otherwise.
NMIC offers a competitive salary based on experience and education as well as a comprehensive and generous benefits package: medical, dental, life, and disability insurance are included; paid time off, including 20 vacation days, 15 sick days, 5 personal days, and 12 agency holidays; a 401k with agency contribution; and other benefits.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in Spanish is required
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please address all applications to Rodrigo Sanchez-Camus, Esq. Director of Legal Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line and include the following:
- Cover letter
- One writing sample
- Salary requirements
All attachments must be submitted in Word or PDF format. No telephone calls, please.