Associate Director, Annual Fund Programs
- Job posted by Columbia University, Office of Alumni and Development
622 West 113th Street
MC4520 7th Floor
Reporting to the Senior Associate Director for Annual Fund Programs, the Associate Director leads the strategic planning, implementation, and management of annual fund solicitations. S/he manages direct mail and e-mail project strategy, implementation, and analysis of results. The Associate Director manages multiple vendors and works with internal constituents to bring projects to completion. To manage direct mail and e-mail projects successfully requires that s/he be proactive in client and vendor management, anticipating problems that may arise and quickly and independently resolving unforeseen situations along the way.
Projects may involve start-to-finish execution of given projects or coordination and oversight of a defined aspect of a project, depending on the needs of the office at the time. The Associate Director will be expected to lead and coordinate cohesive integrated multi-channel marketing strategies for the schools/units s/he oversees.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Collaborate closely with annual fund partners and colleagues on direct marketing solicitations and stewardship to determine and implement strategy, timing, messages, segmentation, and target population. Expected to anticipate and interpret needs of partners and colleagues.
· Proactively provide recommendations and best practices to improve services to partners.
· Guide and implement direct marketing solicitation strategy and mailing list segmentation as defined by each fund's plan for the year. Associate Director will develop the strategy for project execution.
· Guide and participate in the creation of direct mail and e-mail content, including working with other staff to craft effective solicitations. Draft and edit direct mail and e-mail copy for style, accuracy, grammar, spelling and punctuation, and prepare for publication. Proactively manage graphic designers, production artists, print vendors, mail houses and postal authorities, from bidding process to completion of project.
· Submit database query requests for mailing lists to database technical team. Manage data query projects with database team to ensure accuracy of the list. Create electronic data files of mailing lists for annual giving solicitations and related mailings. Implement e-mail solicitations via mass e-mail utility.
· Independently analyze data related to solicitation result tracking, segment composition, and population performance. Provide cost benefit analysis of direct marketing projects outlining the return on investment.
· Proofing detailed data for personalization and verification for personalized mailings, as needed.
· Employ new or alternative solutions to existing problems or issues. Lead others to solve moderate to complex problems.
· Prepare annual unit solicitation plan and expense budget and work with Assistant Director in quarterly expense reconciliation and partner billing.
· Act as resource for colleagues of lesser experience providing knowledge, guidance and leadership. The Associate Director will be expected to take a leadership role in training new colleagues on all aspects of direct marketing -- strategy, creative development, assessment, and production.
· Associate Director will work across academic units within the University.
· Assist with the planning and execution of Columbia Giving Day.
Bachelor's degree and three years of related experience required.
Demonstrated experience with, and comprehensive understanding of, the use of direct mail, e-mail, and telemarketing to generate and sustain annual support. Demonstrated ability to plan, organize and implement solicitation efforts for large numbers of prospects and multiple segments. Demonstrated experience in project management, including ability to develop and manage project management systems. Must possess ability to handle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment with strong attention to detail. Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse constituencies and effectively develop relationships that enhance overall development goals. Must use good judgment and treat confidential information with care and discretion. Strong initiative, creativity, organizational ability, and attention to detail.
Ability to travel for purpose of press checks and vendor site visits. Ability to lift 20 pounds. Must have the ability to work independently and creatively, prioritize and complete assignments in a timely manner. Must have demonstrated problem-solving skills and initiative in follow-up. Must have a passion for excellent customer service and commitment to exceptional quality.
Direct marketing background and experience in higher education a plus. Experience working with current office-related technologies and software (Microsoft Office, especially Excel, and Adobe design suites) and be able to adapt to future technology as it develops.
Columbia University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Medical and dental coverage, tuition exemption, retirement contributions and more.