The Tahirih Justice Center is a growing national non-profit organization that supports the courage of immigrant women and girls who refuse to be victims of violence by providing holistic legal services and advocacy in courts, Congress, and communities. Through pro bono holistic legal services, community outreach and education and nonpartisan public policy advocacy, Tahirih protects women and girls seeking protection from gender-based human rights abuses such as domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking, female genital mutilation, honor crimes, and forced marriage. Tahirih is a Bahá’í-inspired organization and works to create a world where women and girls can live in safety and with dignity. Tahirih’s 70 employees work from offices in the DC metro area, Baltimore, Houston, Atlanta, and the San Francisco Bay Area.
Position Summary: Tahirih is seeking to hire a Pro Bono Program Coordinator to support our Legal Department in the San Francisco Bay Area office based in San Bruno, California. Reporting to the department’s Executive Director or Managing Attorney, the individual will be responsible for a variety of paralegal and administrative support functions, necessary to support and coordinate our pro bono attorney network.
• Manage Interest of New Pro Bono Attorneys who Approach Tahirih to volunteer:
o Respond to email inquiries related to the Pro Bono program from the SF Bay Area inbox.
o Respond to inquiries submitted through the Tahirih website.
o Respond to phone calls from potential Pro Bono Attorney Volunteers.
o Respond to Tahirih staff or other like-minded organization’s staff’s emails related to potential Pro Bono Attorney Volunteers.
• Support the local Director and Staff Attorneys in relationship management of new and existing pro bono attorneys.
• Maintain up-to-date records on attorneys in the Pro Bono Network.
• Provide general administrative support to the pro bono program under the supervision of the Executive Director or Staff Attorneys.
• Draft and circulate pro bono newsletter.
• Coordinate annual pro bono satisfaction survey and valuation.
• Provide general program support:
o Provide training and mentoring support to interns, staff, and volunteers.
o Assist with front desk coverage as needed.
o Provide administrative support as needed.
o Assist with set up and record minutes for weekly legal and social services team meetings.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred
• At least one year of experience providing paralegal, administrative and clerical support in an office setting, including experience with data entry, with strong preference for prior immigration law experience
• Demonstrable proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and Word (candidates may be tested)
• A customer service orientation with a calm, courteous, attentive and professional manner
• Strong communication skills, both written and oral
• Highly organized with the capacity to troubleshoot and resolve problems to facilitate office efficiency
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
• Good sense of humor and emotional maturity
• Ability to set priorities and manage multiple projects independently in a fast-paced environment
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submissions: Please include include a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references.
Please note: Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
Tahirih Justice Center is committed to equal opportunity and promotes equity and transparency as core values. Tahirih practices inclusiveness in decision making through the use of consultation with employees throughout the organization. Tahirih does not discriminate against any person on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, ability, gender, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, arrest record or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. Applicants committed to equity from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and identities are encouraged to apply.