District of Columbia
- Manage all components of Mikva DC's Elections in Action programming, including:
- Recruiting students for Mikva DC's first Elections in Action Youth Fellowship
- Planning and facilitating workshops focused on youth voting, voting rights and voter registration
- Organizing and leading electoral engagement field trips throughout the fall
- Build relationships with students, teachers and administrators for founding of a youth voice committee at a Mikva partner high school
- With Executive Director, adapt Mikva’s Student Voice Committee curriculum for this programming and create plan for youth voice sessions
- With the Program Director, help run our Summer Fellows program including recruiting students and planning and facilitating leadership development workshops
- Assist with other programmatic events and all other duties as assigned
We are looking for an experienced youth worker with a previous experience in youth development, cultivating youth voice and leadership, and encouraging youth civic engagement. A good relationship builder with youth and adults, this individual should possess a strong belief in the potential of youth, as well as a commitment to youth power and voice. This person should have experience with youth facilitation and strong project management skills. Ideally, this person would have a high level of familiarity with DC schools and communities and experience working with DC students.
· 3 plus years of experience in youth facilitation and program management
· Experience in youth civic engagement, youth development and the political process strongly preferred
· Strong organizational and communication skills
· Experience in coordinating student field trips and other youth events is preferred
· Enthusiasm, energy, creativity, flexibility, sense of humor, and the ability to work independently as well as on a team are all-important qualities
· She/he should be highly organized, motivated and have excellent oral and written communication skills.
· A bachelor's degree required
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience.
Level of Language Proficiency
Mikva Challenge DC, a nonpartisan not for profit, is seeking a Youth Engagement Manager to plan, coordinate and lead our direct youth work programming. This new position will manage our growing youth electoral engagement work and help establish a new program around youth voice in schools. Beginning our fourth year in DC, we are seeking a creative, experienced and motivated youth worker with strong familiarity with DC Public and Public Charter high schools and knowledge of the issues facing low-income young people of color in Washington, DC. This is a great opportunity to join an innovative and growing youth civic engagement organization, and bring your own leadership and entrepreneurial skills to this new position.
Modeled after the successful civic engagement programming developed for youth in Chicago, Mikva Challenge DC develops youth to be empowered, informed, and active citizens who will promote a just and equitable society. Mikva Challenge DC was founded on the premise that youth voice and participation matter, and that our civic and political life will be stronger when youth participate and help shape their own destinies.
Mikva Challenge DC’s largest program area is our Issues to Action program in which local teachers implement a curriculum that empowers students with the skills, knowledge, and dispositions to be “superstar citizens.” At the core is the idea that students explore their communities from an asset based perspective, identify issues that are important to them and their community, research the issue, analyze power, and ultimately develop an action plan and take action. We train teachers in this curriculum, provide ongoing classroom support, and host citywide events that gather all participating students to showcase their efforts
In addition to our classroom and teacher-based work, Mikva Challenge DC runs a few programs directly with DC students. Our Elections in Action (EIA) program brings young people directly into the electoral process – hosting candidate forums, serving as poll workers, volunteering on campaigns, and engaging in peer voter education and registration efforts. Our Summer Fellows program serves as a capstone experience for Mikva DC students by placing students as paid interns in the offices of local elected officials. With this new position, Mikva DC is also looking to launch a new program focused on developing and nurturing pathways for meaningful student voice leadership in our city’s high schools.
Mikva evaluations show lasting impact of its programs.
- After participating in the program, 88% of participants now feel confident expressing their views in front of a group of people (vs. only 58% before the program)
- 84% believe they can make a difference on issues in their community (vs. only 55% of youth nationwide).
- 75% of Mikva alumni volunteer in their communities, compared with only 36% of young people nationwide.
- 90% of Mikva alumni are registered voters, compared with only 60% of young people nationwide
Minimum Education Required