Details: Commensurate with experience
151 Brookdale Road
FULL-TIME DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
Reports to CEO
Position opens January 2019
The development director will prospect, cultivate, solicit, and steward individual donors, corporations, and foundations, and implement select special events to help meet the organizations annual fundraising goals. The development director will work closely with the CEO, Board of Directors’ development committee, and development volunteers.
Individual Donors – Manage annual appeals for donors at all levels using traditional and social networking tools. Work with the CEO and Board to identify, research, cultivate, and solicit individual, corporate, and major gift prospects.
Corporate Giving – Maintain a proactive, creative leadership role in the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and tracking of corporate, foundation and government grants, including creating a library of external statistical data and research findings to strengthen proposals. Work with the CEO to design corporate engagement opportunities and collaborative fundraising options including operational support, program support, and event sponsorship. Prospect, cultivate, and steward corporate donors. Develop targeted informational materials.
Foundations – Research, approach, write proposals, and conduct follow up and reporting with local, regional, statewide, and national foundations that are aligned with the Arobretum’s mission and programs.
Marketing and Social Media – Coordinate all fundraising efforts with the Arboretum’s electronic marketing efforts including e-newsletter, Facebook, twitter, LinkedIn, and traditional media.
Special Events – Design, plan, and implement select cultivation and fundraising events.
·Assist CEO with preparing annual Donor Honor Roll.
·Identify specific fundraising tactics and quarterly deliverables to assure maximum success
·Meet annual goals as well as long-term expectations.
·Develop and maintain close working relationships with the philanthropic community.
·Provide detailed, accurate and timely reports on fundraising activity to the CEO and Board.
·Perform any other duties as assigned by the CEO.
· Bachelor’s degree
· Minimum five years direct, relevant, fundraising experience required; focus on major donors
· Grant writing experience required
· Experience planning and implementing special events
· Background in donor management systems and prospect research tools
· Highly proficient with Excel, Word, Facebook, PowerPoint, databases (Altru preferred)
· Strong interpersonal skills, team-oriented, customer-service focused
· Enjoys working with volunteers as well as autonomously
· Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
· Professional, self-directed, highly motivated, reliable, great attention to detail
· Results and solution oriented perspective, organized, flexible with strong time-management skills
· A successful track record of personally identifying, cultivating, and soliciting individuals and securing major gifts of $10,000 and above, as well as corporate and private foundation grants
· Experience crafting and implementing comprehensive development plans
· Demonstrated experience creating and managing budgets, forecasting, and reporting
· Experience creating and executing planned giving programs
· Ability to work extended hours and a non-traditional schedule as required to manage events and to cultivate individual donors.
Health Insurance (75% paid by organization)
Long term disability
15 days vacation
5 sick days
2 personal days
8 paid holidays
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required