High School Math Teacher at Maya Angleou Public Charter School
- Job posted by Maya Angelou Schools and See Forever Foundation
5600 East Capitol Street Northeast
District of Columbia
Since it began operating in 1997, the See Forever Foundation's mission has been to create learning communities in lower income urban areas where all students, particularly those who have not succeeded in traditional schools, can succeed academically and socially. The Foundation operates the Maya Angelou Public Charter Schools in DC, as well as the Maya Angelou Academy at New Beginnings’ secure facility for committed youth in Laurel, MD. Our students develop the academic, social, and employment skills they need to build rewarding lives and promote positive change.
If you are interested in learning more about See Forever, please visit our website at www.seeforever.org.
At the Maya Angelou Schools, the key to our success is rooted in building trusting, respectful and nurturing relationships with each other. We strive to create safe spaces for all to be able to reach their limitless potential. We are at our best when we work together to ensure the unique needs of our community are met. We empower each other to grow successfully so we can see forever! This is how we live the Maya Way, even when no one is watching.
Core Beliefs and Desired Characteristics
Teacher candidates should possess an unyielding belief that with the appropriate supports, coupled with high expectations, all students can significantly improve their academic skills, and can develop pro-social and culturally normative behaviors that will enable them to succeed at school and beyond. Candidates should also believe that all students have strengths and talents and that good teachers help students find them and use them to address weaknesses or overcome fears. In addition, candidates should exhibit the following characteristics:
- Honesty & Integrity: Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidence. Does what is right, not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully.
- Analytical skills: able to structure and process qualitative or quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions from it; exhibits a probing mind and achieves penetrating insights
- Persistence: Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Strategic thinking/visioning: Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way; determines opportunities and threats through comprehensive analysis of current and future trends
- Flexibility/adaptability: Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions; copes effectively with complexity and change
- Enthusiasm: Exhibits passion and excitement over work. Has can do attitude.
Maya Angelou Public Charter School (MAPCS) is seeking a Math teacher for the 2018-2019 school year. Our teachers often work in classrooms with special education teachers in order to serve special education students in an inclusive setting. Content teachers are expected to collaborate with special education teachers. Some students may have identified special education needs. Other students may require academic remediation and need creative and careful instruction to accelerate their learning.
Teachers at MAPCS are expected to support the school-wide goals of emphasizing literacy and numeracy, helping students develop their critical thinking abilities, driving all students toward mastery and understanding, and helping students find their strengths and talents to use them to address weaknesses and overcome fears. There is an emphasis upon collecting and utilizing a broad range of data to drive instruction, upon weaving social justice themes into instructional content and assessment and collaborative team teaching to meet the needs of all of our students. Students are engulfed in a blended learning program in which the traditional and digital methods of instruction are combined based upon the individual needs of students. In addition, MAPCS embraces a competency-based instructional program where students develop key skills and competencies to prepare them for postsecondary and career success.
- Plan backward to align all lessons, activities, and assessments
- Design in-person instruction that is enriched (developing higher-order thinking skills) and personalized (reflecting learning levels and interests of individual students)
- Design assessments that accurately assess student progress and/or incorporate digital assessments
- Create physical classroom environments conducive to collaborative and individual learning
- Identify and address individual students’ social, emotional, and behavioral learning needs and barriers
- Monitor and analyze student assessment data to inform personalized, enriched instruction by teacher, follow-up tutoring by tutor(s), and changes in digital instruction
- Communicate with students and keep them informed of their progress
- Maintain regular communication with families
- Collaborate with other teachers, tutors, and lab monitor(s) to analyze data, group students, teach, and assign interventions
- Participate in internal and external professional development opportunities
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in education or a specialized content area
- Eligibility for teaching certification or credential
- Teaching experience with youth at the secondary level
- Familiarity with research-based instructional methods and curriculum development
- Ability to work collaboratively to support student academic and personal development
- Knowledge of student-centered instruction, performance based assessments and youth development principles
Salary and Benefits
Our salaries are comparable to those of other public schools in the District of Columbia area. In addition, See Forever offers a robust benefits plan, including health care coverage, HSA/FSA accounts, voluntary dental, vision, short term and long term disability options, commuter benefits, a 401k retirement savings plan, student loan refinancing options, and the opportunity to positively impact students with a broad range of experiences and backgrounds.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
See Forever is an equal opportunity employer. We believe a diverse staff is a better, more effective staff.