This position requires working knowledge of federal environmental and natural resources law and significant litigation experience. Primary emphasis is on litigating cases under federal wildlife and natural resources laws to conserve biological diversity, and helping to develop and advance Defenders’ conservation policies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Litigate cases brought under the Endangered Species Act, National Environmental Policy Act, Marine Mammal Protection Act, Clean Water Act, National Forest Management Act, Refuge Improvement Act, Administrative Procedure Act, Freedom of Information Act, and other federal and state statutes.
· Develop innovative litigation strategies and cases to protect imperiled wildlife species and to conserve habitat and ecosystems.
· Actively participate in the development and advancement of Defenders' conservation policy goals.
· Advise staff on legal questions and legislative matters.
· Perform all other related duties as assigned.
· Education: Juris Doctor.
· Bar Admission: Admitted to practice in California.
· Experience: 8+ years of litigation experience.
· An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Strong legal writing, research, and verbal communications skills.
- Working knowledge of federal natural resources, public lands, and wildlife conservation laws.
- Demonstrated commitment to public-interest advocacy, environmental protection and natural resources conservation.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a computer and communicate with others while doing so.
· General office working conditions, the noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
VALUES AND DIVERSITY:
· Defenders of Wildlife is a national, non-profit membership organization dedicated to the protection of all native wild animals and plants in their natural communities. Our employees work in an environment that is inclusive and honors each of our unique perspectives and backgrounds. We believe that the conservation of biological diversity is best advanced by the contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, beliefs and cultures. We strive toward a collective goal of including all people in the conservation of our Nation’s wildlife and wild places.
· Visit Our Values and Diversity page to learn more about who we are and how we operate.
Minimum Education Required