158-24 73rd Ave
WOMEN FOR AFGHAN WOMEN (WAW) is a grassroots civil society organization dedicated to protecting and promoting the rights of disenfranchised Afghan women and girls in Afghanistan and New York (NY). In particular, WAW works to help Afghan women and girls exercise their rights to pursue their individual potential to self-determination, and to representation in all areas of life—political, social, cultural, and economic. WAW relentlessly advocates for women’s rights and challenges the norms that underpin gender-based violence to influence attitudes and bring about change.
WAW was founded in April 2001 to advocate for women then living under Taliban rule in Afghanistan. Since its inception, WAW has become the largest organization for Afghan women and girls globally, and the largest women’s organization in Afghanistan. To date, WAW has served over 30,000 clients and trained more than 330,000 individuals on women’s rights. WAW provides life-saving and life-changing services, education, and advocacy for women and children across Afghanistan and NY who have endured human rights violations. WAW’s capacity has grown from being volunteer-run when it was founded to now employing over 750 staff members, the vast majority of whom are Afghan and female.
WAW’s New York Community Center (NYCC) in Queens is seeking a part-time Administrative Assistant to support staff and ensure the efficient and systemized operations of the NYCC office and programs.
The person employed in this position will work closely with WAW’s New York Program Director to support the critical work of WAW’s administrative support for the NYCC program staff.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Processing all WAW NYCC’s incoming and outgoing mail;
- Handling phone calls and relaying messages to NYCC management and staff;
- Managing and maintaining inventory of all office supplies;
- Ensuring office systems and technical infrastructure are functioning properly including but not limited to internet/connectivity, telephone/fax, printers/copiers, computers, in addition to all other hardware and software, required for efficient operations;
- Ensuring the proper functioning of the office environment and its property, including alarm systems, property maintenance, lighting, heat and cooling, etc.;
- Monitoring and managing the maintenance needs of the office environment and its property, and arranging for timely servicing when required;
- Ensuring that the NYCC is clean and presentable at all times by managing the cleaning company or person/s contracted for these purposes;
- Collecting, processing, and filing reimbursement claims, leave requests, quotations and purchase orders with the required supporting documentation before submission to WAW’s Finance Department for payment;
- Managing all orders, records, and relations with outside vendors and third-party contractors;
- Managing and ordering food and beverages required for meetings, site visits, and/or other office-related events;
- Taking care of office-related travel and accommodations and/or any other arrangements and tasks related to business travel;
- Taking notes during staff meetings and ensuring staff meeting agendas and minutes are circulated to staff in a timely manner;
QUALIFICATIONS and EXPERTISE
- College degree;
- Prior comparable experience;
- Familiarity with computer systems, hardware and software required for data management and other word processing applications;
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications with an ability to quickly learn and adapt to new software, programs, and applications;
- Ability to troubleshoot, adapt to, and utilize existing and new technologies;
- Strong follow-up skills;
- Ability to multitask and work under pressure;
- Ability to work independently, exercise independent judgment and initiative, prioritize responsibilities, implement policies and resolve problems effectively;
- Ability to assess, prioritize and respond quickly to challenges;
- Ability to assess and handle confidential information.
To all interested candidates, please apply by sending your resume to email@example.com by by July 30th, 2018.
Minimum Education Required