About Us and Our Philosophy:
Breakthrough Silicon Valley’s transformative program launches talented but underserved middle school students on the path to college, while at the same time inspiring high school and college students to become leaders and change-makers in education. Breakthrough Silicon Valley (BSV) stands out among the many efforts to improve educational outcomes for underserved students by deeply changing the lives of individuals and their communities: a stunning 95% of BSV graduates have graduated from four-year colleges or are on-track to graduate within six years, while 78% of BSV teaching fellows are inspired to pursue careers in education.
Established in 2002 as a partnership between Applied Materials and the San Jose Unified School District, BSV began as a two-year middle school program serving 25 students from one school. Today, our comprehensive six-year program is on track to serve approximately 570 students in grades 6 - 12 from more than 40 schools by 2018 and our organizational budget has tripled within the last four years. Using Breakthrough’s successful ‘Students Teaching Students’ model, BSV is addressing the widening opportunity gap in the City of San Jose through its tuition-free, summer and year-round program that provides academic support, counseling, and advocacy for a diverse group of motivated students, most of whom will become first-generation college students, and otherwise lack access to the educational resources and experiences that are essential to supporting students into college.
Located in San Jose, California, Breakthrough Silicon Valley is an independently operating affiliate of The Breakthrough Collaborative, a leading national service organization that establishes and promotes high standards for, ensures the success of, and acts as the national voice of over 30 Breakthrough sites across the country.
With a deep commitment to the populations we serve, BSV operates with the highest standards of integrity, excellence, and best practices, while also enjoying the ability to be innovative and flexible to meet the evolving needs of our students and families. Our team is diverse, high-performing, and dedicated, and we continue to build an organizational culture that is inclusive, collaborative, and committed to continuous learning and growth.
Please visit our web site to learn more about our history, impact, and culture.
Breakthrough Silicon Valley encourages individuals of all backgrounds to apply for this position,
and we do not discriminate on any basis prohibited by applicable law. We celebrate the diversity of our nation and community,
and we seek to build a team that reflects that diversity. We welcome and encourage all qualified applicants who share
that same vision, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to our work and this mission.
Breakthrough Silicon Valley is currently seeking a Director of Development (DoD) to partner with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and staff to lead the growing development function for the organization. The DoD will play an exciting role in systematically strengthening the organization's overall fundraising capacity, long-term sustainability, and our ability to deepen our impact. In addition, the DoD will be a key member of BSV’s three-person executive team, responsible for setting the strategic direction of our growing organization.
- A successful Director of Development will:Forge new relationships to build Breakthrough Silicon Valley’s visibility, impact, and financial resources
- Establish and implement systems and processes to meet and grow the organization’s revenue budget
- Lead strategic cultivation and stewardship of relationships in support of BSV’s continued growth
- Work closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives
In this exciting role, you will lead the development function and team in support of BSV’s long-term goals, as well as participate in the leadership of the entire organization. Specifically, you will:
- Development LeadershipActively work with the ED and Board Development Committee to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy and long-term sustainability plan that includes corporate, foundation, special events, and individual support
- Partner with the ED to align development goals and vision with the organization’s strategic priorities
- Develop and lead a strategic stewardship program aimed at identifying and approaching new donors, cultivating deeper ties with current and past donors, and building long-term relationships across all funding sources
- Oversee a grants management system which includes writing and/or reviewing all funding proposals and reports
- Ensure all communications materials, both printed and digital, are effective and reflect a high-degree of quality and accuracy
- Oversee all department activities related to ongoing day-to-day fundraising efforts including implementation of a donor relations and stewardship program, gift processing, record keeping, and reporting
- Research funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position Breakthrough Silicon Valley ahead of major funding changes or trends
- Monitor and report key fundraising deliverables and performance measures of the development program; provide reports and analyses to board and senior leaders
- Lead staff, board, and volunteers to plan and execute the details of annual fundraising events, including local receptions and BSV’s signature event “Are You Smarter than a Breakthrough Student?”
- Team and Organizational LeadershipSupervise a team of two, and oversee relationships with any consultants hired to execute BSV’s Development and Communications strategies
- Identify and hire new staff members, while ensuring professional development and effective mentorship of development staff
- Work in concert with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and its Development Committee to deepen the Board's fundraising role
- Be an active participant and contributor on Breakthrough Silicon Valley’s executive leadership team
Your Background and Qualifications
As the incoming Director of Development, you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- A passionate commitment to the mission and vision of Breakthrough Silicon Valley
- A long-term and relationship-driven approach to your work, with a commitment to developing strong and lasting relationships that meet mutual goals
- Experience building and implementing strategic development plans, likely honed over at least 5 years in a fundraising leadership position
- Proven success in managing development projects, managing team members, coordinating with peers and senior leaders, and tracking and reporting on outcomes
- Ability to build brand awareness and visibility for an organization through strategic marketing and communications activities
- An entrepreneurial spirit, with the ability to take initiative, try new activities, and collaborate to reach common goals
- Ability to create powerful and compelling written and oral communications for fundraising and marketing purposes; ability to convey complex ideas through concise materials and experience effectively presenting materials to external audiences
- Bachelor’s degree required
In return for your contributions, we offer a competitive salary, medical, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, and a 401(k) plan with matching opportunity.
Minimum Education Required