637 Washington St.
Supervisor: Principal 9-12
Start date/hours: ASAP - June 30; 8:30am-5:30pm Monday through Friday
Description: The Dean of Culture models how to build strong, mutually respectful relationships with students and families and supports teachers to do the same. S/he serves as the team leader for student accountability (discipline) and identification of additional resources for families (enrichment, preventative programs, etc.) for grades 9-12. The Dean of Culture is the keeper of culture, ensuring that our school’s ways of being support high levels of student growth and achievement. This position requires a creative and inspiring educator with adult leadership experience, high energy, excellent organizational abilities and a talent for creating a warm and supportive environment for children.
Responsibilities (including, but not limited to):
Student Support and Accountability
- Steward of school culture
- Own the school’s character development efforts
- Model a school-wide culture of respect and compassion
- Elevate student voice and leadership in classrooms and across the school
- Make Habits of Scholarship visible across the school and in daily instruction
- Prioritize social and emotional learning, along with academic learning, across the school
- Models strengths-based, growth-mindset approach to maintaining a strong school culture
- Oversee the development and implementation of student supports and interventions
- Supervise the consistent and fair administration of school policies regarding student conduct and discipline
- Evaluate student accountability procedures and outcomes and make necessary adjustments.
- Communicate school accountability policies to staff, parents & visitors.
- Document student accountability procedures for inclusion in student-family handbook and faculty handbook.
- Maintain systems for collecting and tracking data on school culture metrics, including discipline and attendance;
- Oversee behavioral interventions, including family meetings, mediations, suspensions and expulsion hearings
- Ensure clear and consistent implementation of student accountability practices amongst staff
- Holds staff accountable for school wide norms and staff non-negotiables
- Support teachers to create and sustain classroom management systems that ensure a focus on learning and student success
- Create and facilitate staff professional development around student accountability
- Create and maintain school’s student accountability documentation and staff training materials.
Family & Community Outreach
- Manage and conduct incoming student intakes during the summer and school year
- Identify and enroll students/families in enrichment opportunities during the school year, school vacation weeks and summertime
- In conjunction with the Operations Team and the Principal, develop a safe school crisis plan.
- Identify procedures for fire drills, shelter in place, etc.
- Train staff in school safety and security policies and procedures
- Plan for lock down and fire drills
- Create visitor sign-in and identification system and protocols
Community Engagement and Stewardship
- We are crew, not passengers, and we uphold that ideal as we support each other in reaching our shared goals.
- Every adult in our community is a teacher and a role model, and we model and implement EL Education design principles and core practices to the best of our ability in our roles.
- Advance the educational mission of the school by participating in duties and responsibilities consistent with building, upholding and promoting a strong Codman community.
- We actively value and solicit feedback in order to improve performance
Minimum Education Required