SquashBusters is a 22 year old sports-based youth development program that uses a combination of squash and fitness, academic support and enrichment, and community service to improve the lives of youth in Boston, Lawrence and Providence. SquashBusters' mission is to challenge and nurture urban youth - as students, athletes, and citizens - so that they can recognize and fulfill their greatest potential in life.
SquashBusters aims to ensure that all of its graduates:
- Enroll in and successfully complete college
- Understand and embrace life-long habits of health and wellness
- Develop a deep sense of character and personal integrity
SquashBusters currently serves 350 middle school, high school and college students in Boston, Lawrence and Providence. In Boston, programming takes place six days per week at the SquashBusters Youth Center located on Northeastern's campus. In Lawrence, programming takes place at Brooks School and Phillips Academy Andover; and in Providence, programming takes place at the Gorgi Family Squash and Education Center on the campus of Moses Brown School.
SquashBusters' strategic plan calls for facility development in Lawrence and full roll-out of the Providence program to serve 100 students in each city in addition to the 150 students served in Boston and 70+ enrolled in college. When this program expansion is complete, SquashBusters will become a three-city youth organization serving 500 students with an annual operating budget of approximately $3M.
SquashBusters is the first urban squash program in a now 20-city urban squash movement, and the Manager of Foundation Relations and Communications is uniquely positioned to play a key role in supporting the strategic growth of a well-known and established yet still growing nonprofit. This position will report to the Director of Institutional Advancement and be an integral member of the SquashBusters Development team. In a small entrepreneurial environment with a deep emphasis on teamwork, he/she will work with the CEO and Director of Institutional Advancement and be chiefly responsible for all foundation relations and grant writing, marketing and communication to various stakeholders and audiences, and general external relations to enhance the program’s visibility and grow SQB’s base of support.
Grant Writing & Foundation Relations
- Establish and cultivate relationships with foundation and corporate funders, and preserve existing relationships with the goal of maintaining a steady and consistent source of corporate and foundation support
- Manage and execute the grant proposal process, submitting approximately 20-25 grants per year and resulting in $600,000+ annually through corporate and foundation sources
- Identification of new funding opportunities and outreach to appropriate external contacts to determine fit and ask
- Proposal and report writing and submission
- Ongoing foundation relationship management
- Overall tracking and management of grant proposals and reports as well as relationships with foundation and corporate prospects and funders using Salesforce
Marketing & Communications
- Coordinate and produce donor communication materials and collateral to educate and inform the public and further fund-raising goals. Written products include: e-newsletters, annual appeal letters, campaign brochures, fact sheets and one-pagers, presentations, postcards, and other development collateral as needed
- Develop, coordinate, and produce SQB’s Annual Report
- Develop, coordinate, and produce event-related communications – save-the dates, invitations, sponsorship materials, press releases, follow-up, etc.
- Oversee SQB’s press strategy – work with local media as applicable to produce articles, videos, etc.
- Identify opportunities for positive press and reach out to media contacts for coverage
- Oversee and update SQB website content
- Oversee SQB’s social media strategy
- Post appropriate and compelling updates, connect with followers, maintain accounts
- Other marketing and communications activities as needed
- Creation and oversight of event websites and fundraising pages
- Monitor event communications and assure clarity and consistency of external messaging across all constituencies
- Special projects as assigned
This position seeks a creative, proactive self-starter who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment with the ability to be a collaborative team member as well as to work independently
- Superior writing skills, with the ability to communicate persuasively with impeccable attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with tight deadlines. Strong relationship-building skills, able to collaborate with SquashBusters staff and constituents
- Background and experience using Salesforce for tracking and reporting; WordPress for website maintenance; and MailChimp for mass email communications
- Prior experience in development, grant writing, and communications
- Love for the SquashBusters mission
- Bachelor’s degree required
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, email your resume and cover letter to: Christine Stellar, SquashBusters Director of Institutional Advancement, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please attach resume and cover letter in one document and reference JOB COMMUNICATION in the subject line. Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.