iMentor is seeking an experienced Senior Director of Product, Technology Design to align the product strategy and vision for iMentor’s suite of products, including iMentor’s custom technology platform, with iMentor’s mission and vision to meet mentor, mentee, and staff needs.
The Senior Director of Product, Technology Design will have the vision, experience, and passion to bring iMentor’s systems and business processes to a new level of excellence, transforming how teams work. They will help teams to think about how they work, identify areas of business process improvement and manage the teams responsible for implementing those solutions. They will continue the development of iMentor’s technology platform, which comprises a white-label web application and native mobile applications for iOS and Android that allow iMentor and partner programs to launch, monitor, and evaluate their mentoring programs.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and working closely with iMentor’s senior leadership, the Senior Director of Product, Technology Design will bring experience in user research, design process, and project management that support our Agile product development. The Senior Director of Product, Technology Design will collaborate with a diverse set of stakeholders, end users, and partner organizations to define, prioritize, and execute on the product roadmap.
The ideal candidate will have experience with Salesforce and other common business technology, as well as custom product development experience in the Agile methodology. They will be a design thinker with a passion for improving processes. They are skilled at interpreting people’s needs and are able to use that in finding the fundamental problem and apply a technology solution. They have excellent communication, collaboration and listening skills combined with exceptional project management experience, with demonstrated success setting goals and milestones and managing to the achievement of ambitious goals, as well as leading others to achieve the same success.
Leadership & Product Strategy
- Create, refine and implement comprehensive technology product strategy to position iMentor’s programs for success
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to define both an annual tech product roadmap for all user-facing products as well as a long-term tech product roadmap
- Identify product implications of key program changes, and/or organizational growth and implement strategy and/or product roadmap updates to support these changes
- Assess, identify, and recommend opportunities to build and leverage technology in innovative ways
- Serve as an internal strategic advisor, content expert, thought partner, and coach regarding key technology and product decisions
- Partner on the development and change management of technology product initiatives for the organization
- Build strong partnerships across the organization to understand program and user needs
Oversee Tech Product Development & Adoption
- Manage the Product Manager(s) through all aspects of the entire product lifecycle from ideation, to planning and execution, with an eye toward creating beautifully simple user experiences for mentees, mentors, and all program administrators
- Ensure product management methodologies are customer-experience (CX) based, including direct feedback from mentees, mentors, and staff.
- Advise on product requirements and feature design for both iMentor Platform and other business systems (Salesforce, etc.), ensure the product design and development process is followed.
- Implement a transparent technology process utilizing Agile and other modern project management principles that promotes inclusion, partnership, cooperation, and accountability
- Be an expert in iMentor’s program design and implementation, to generate new ideas for user experience and user journeys based on program strategy as well as new product and technology trends
- Vet software proposed by departments and individual users; research vendor possibilities
Lead and Manage a Team
- Evaluate, hire, manage, and review the work of a team of product managers, user support managers, and QA professionals ensuring the team members are effective, developed, and retained.
- Provide strong leadership to ensure the team has the skills, training, direction, feedback, mentorship and support to grow and be effective in their roles.
- Work closely and collaboratively with the Engineering team in order to achieve timely communication of requirements and project status.
- Manage Product team and partner with Engineering Team through the software development lifecycle, ensuring the project stays on time and within budget
- Oversee the successful execution of customer service and user support for all software at iMentor.
- 5+ years of product leadership with demonstrated success building high-quality web-based software, preferably in a B2B or educational technology company
- Experience defining a product strategy for web and/or mobile product, then evaluating, selecting, and managing a team of product managers
- Excellent communication, collaboration and listening skills, including the ability to communicate with understanding, balance, and empathy, using techniques and messages most appropriate to the situation and person
- Work collaboratively with a variety of stakeholders and communities across diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Superior analytical skills with the ability to distill feedback from disparate sources, make recommendations, and decisions with expertise in translating data into action and improvements.
- Skilled at leading change with a proven ability to develop a vision, generate buy-in and inspire others to achieve shared goals. Proven ability to manage up and influence cross-functional teams without formal authority.
- Resourceful, results-oriented, relationship builder and team player with a customer service orientation, is deeply committed to inclusion and has a sense of humor
- Good intuition and judgement on how to make software that is easy to use for a diverse user group.
- Aligned in thought and action with iMentor's values (http://www.imentor.org/values) and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Commitment
- Views differences between individuals (race, gender, age, cultural heritage, physical ability, education and lifestyle) as an asset and demonstrates an appreciation of diversity within iMentor and with our stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred (MBA, JD, MPA)
- Employment is conditioned upon successful completion of a background check, including fingerprinting is conducted by the Division of Human Resources at the NYC Department of Education. Continued employment is contingent on successful completion of an annual rescreening.
- This position is located in commutable distance to our national headquarters in New York City, iMentor has a flexible work from home policy