Details: Non-Exempt and eligible for our complete benefits package
The SNAP Community Engagement Coordinator provides leadership on key strategies that support Second Harvest Heartland’s SNAP Outreach Program with the aim of increasing efficiency in application assistance. A primary area of responsibility is ongoing quality improvement of SHH SNAP Intern Program including design, monitoring and overall management of the program. This position collaborates closely with several internal departments as well as a diverse set of external partner organizations.
- Interface with current community partners including: food shelves; schools; health care providers; libraries, food distributions, meal programs, low income housing units and other nonprofits to improve and expand SNAP outreach.
- Serve as SNAP team expert on community engagement best practices through research and community networking.
- Coordinate intern outreach and work directly with sites to troubleshoot and ensure the success of SNAP interns.
- Maintain comprehensive lists of relevant community organization contacts, recording best approaches for successful partnership with each
- Continually identify, develop and test new opportunities for the SHH SNAP Intern program to expand SNAP application assistance.
- Refine and maintain use of a range of tools to support SNAP Outreach and application assistance work (e.g. client database, outreach materials, procedural manuals, intern training and development curricula, etc.).
- Provide direct client assistance as needed on a walk-in basis and at sites in the community.
Intern Program Management:
Primary duties are organizing, coordinating, and planning all operational facets of intern program and its related activities which include, but are not limited to the following:
- Collaborate closely with SHH Volunteer Services staff to ensure effective recruitment, interviewing, and hiring of interns.
- Orient, train and supervise multiple cohort of interns each year ensuring they receive the professional development, organizational support and performance feedback necessary to succeed.
- Communications, data compilation & reporting program outcomes
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of public assistance programs, with particular expertise about SNAP.
- Develop annual workplan with measurable objectives and evidence-based tactics to ensure success in collaborating with individuals, community groups and agency partners.
- Maintain current and up to date information, outreach materials and documents so that interns are able to easily perform their expected duties. Coordinate internally with Child and Senior Hunger, as well as Agency Relations teams to maximize effectiveness of collaboration across SHH programs and shared partner organizations.
- Work with SNAP Outreach Specialists to guarantee that the intern program works toward Second Harvest Heartland’s overall organizational goals regarding expansion of SNAP application assistance.
- Build and maintain healthy partnerships and sense of team between interns and the SNAP team
- Coordinate ongoing training opportunities for interns, utilizing the expertise of the SNAP Team
- Incorporate feedback from interns and community partners in order to enhance the SNAP Family Resource Program in terms of both client outcomes and the intern experience.
- Draft internal and external program report as needed.
- Minimum four-year Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent experience, required.
- Minimum 1 year of experience in direct client work or volunteer services
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship skills that promote a positive Intern experience and partner engagement
- Strong process and time management, and written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to facilitate group efforts to achieve measurable outcomes
- Flexible with ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, high-demand work environment
- Comfortable with culturally diverse communities.
- Proficiency with Microsoft office programs
- Comfortable using database to run reports
- Management or leadership experience highly preferred
- Bilingual fluency highly desirable (English + Spanish)
- Medical with HSA options
- 403b with employer contributions and employer match options
- Voluntary Life
- Short Term Disability
- Paid holidays
- Flexible workplace
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual fluency highly desirable (English + Spanish)
Minimum Education Required