Full Time Temporary
Details: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
NALEO Educational Fund, a national nonprofit organization serving the Latino community, seeks a Director of National Census Programs to will lead the organization’s 2020 Census initiative, which seeks to ensure a full count of the U.S. Latino population. The initiative includes the development of a national public awareness and motivation campaign using traditional broadcast and social media; the development of a national network of organizations to provide local outreach, promotion and assistance for the Latino community to participate in the Census; the integration of NALEO members and other Latino elected and appointed officials in outreach and promotion efforts; and coordination with national, state and local advocacy activities to promote a full Census count. The Director is a proven leader who is responsible for the planning, development and execution of the organization’s multi-faceted campaign, working across all of the organization’s departments and engaging multiple stakeholder groups, including policymakers, partner national and local organizations, and the Latino community.
The Director will work with the Executive Director and the Senior Management Team in planning, developing and executing the full initiative; will be responsible for the day-to-day planning and coordination of initiative activities across the entire organization; and will also be responsible for personnel management duties covering several local and regional initiative staff. As a member of the Civic Engagement Department, responsibilities may also include general activities in support of other departmental programs and priorities. Travel is required. This position reports to the National Director of Civic Engagement and coordinates with the Executive Director. This is a full-time/temporary exempt position (December 2017 – September 2020), with an annual salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Develop, update and implement detailed Census campaign plans as required;
- Develop and track comprehensive metrics and evaluation benchmarks;
- Identify and recruit national community and other partners for NALEO Educational Fund’s Census Community Information Center and Assistance Program;
- In collaboration with the Communications Department, oversee the development and distribution of public information products (English and Spanish), which will serve as primary outreach collaterals for the organization’s Census initiative;
- Coordinate Census initiative activities with other departments and their staff. This will include coordinating field activities, working with national and local community organizations and media partners;
- Serve as spokesperson for the program and the organization in front of various stakeholder groups, including the media;
- Provide regular reports on campaign activities to Executive Director and Management Team;
- Prepare regular reports and updates for public distribution;
- Work closely with Executive Director and Development team in the ongoing effort to prepare proposals and/or work plans to solicit funds for the initiative and corresponding reporting requirements.
- Work professionally, collaboratively, and respectfully with all organizational colleagues and external stakeholders.
- Adhere to attendance and punctuality standards of the organization.
QUALIFICATIONS – KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor’s degree;
- Minimum of four years of experience in statewide or national community outreach and program management;
- Strong track record as an effective leader and manager;
- Strong writing and communications skills required, Spanish written and speaking skills required;
- Proven ability to prioritize workload, be self-motivated, execute projects independently, outstanding project management, organized and results-oriented;
- Basic familiarity with federal and state policymaking process required;
- Proven ability to pay attention to detail, effective at multi-tasking and problem solving, proactive, strong critical thinking and analytical skills;
- Great interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships and serve as liaison with stakeholders, including staff, public officials, external partners and funders;
- Knowledge of and interest in Latino politics required;
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven work environment with varying hours and work on weekends as needed;
- Must be technology savvy, proficient in using Microsoft Office 365, Outlook, MSWord, Excel, PowerPoint, and other office software;
- If a driver, must have a valid driver’s license with proof of automobile insurance coverage;
- Ability to work respectfully with people from all cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds;
- Supportive of the mission and the philosophy of the NALEO Educational Fund.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL ASPECTS OF THE POSITION
Certain physical and mental aspects of performing the essential functions of the position include the following:
- Ability to detect, discern, recognize, and perceive auditory and visual information within normal ranges;
- Dexterity to read, write, type, operate office equipment such as a computer, printer, telephone, calculator, copier, fax machine, pencils, pens, and stapler;
- Ability to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time.
Once hired, employees requiring reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of the position should contact Human Resources to engage in the interactive process to determine reasonable accommodations, if any.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Medical, dental, vision, life and AD&D insurance, long-term disability coverage, 403(b) retirement plan, and generous sick leave and vacation
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish written skills desired, Spanish speaking skills required;
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Fax/email cover letter and resume to Angela Weimer, National Director of Human Resources and Administration, NALEO Educational Fund (213) firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE