Position Summary: The Chief Programmes Officer serves as the senior-most Programmes leader within the organisation. S/he leads the strategic direction and effective delivery of Malala Fund’s programmatic work for girls’ education. As a member of the Executive Leadership Team, s/he also works closely with the CEO of and senior colleagues to inform the growth and effectiveness of the wider organisation.
This is a temporary position based in London or Washington, DC with the potential to become a permanent role.
I. Responsibilities and Tasks:
• Oversees the development, refinement and delivery of programmes strategies, including a monitoring, evaluation and learning framework to assess impact.
• Responsible for Malala Fund’s grant portfolio, ensuring investments align with strategic priorities and ensuring that donor funds are spent appropriately
• Keeps informed about and engaged with best practice, relevant research, debates, innovations and policy changes in girls’ education.
• Identifies and leads the development of new signature programmatic initiatives.
• Ensures adherence to Malala Fund policies by Programmes staff.
• Responsible for effective management of the Programmes and grant-making budgets.
• Represents Malala Fund along with the CEO at key meetings.
• Presents Malala Fund’s programmatic work to current/potential funders.
• Oversees and, as necessary, presents materials on Malala Fund’s programmatic work to the Board.
• With the CEO and Executive Leadership Team, provides leadership in developing and delivering wider organisational strategic direction and management.
• Travel to program areas will be expected.
II. Qualifications and Experience:
• At least 10 years of related work experience with a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a related field.
• Extensive project management experience, particularly developing and implementing programme strategy in developing countries.
• Experience designing and leading large-scale programmatic investments and portfolios.
• Extensive contract management experience.
• Experience providing reports to board members, influential donors and other high-level stakeholders.
• Significant staff management experience, particularly teams based in multiple country offices.
• Creative thinker – eager to explore out-of-the-box ideas rather than simply fit within the traditional framework.
• Financial acumen and the ability to develop and manage a departmental budget and review financial reports from grantees.
• Excellent communications skills and a successful record of identifying, building and sustaining strong relationships.
• Experience in education and girl-centered projects in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Nigeria India, Turkey, Lebanon and/or Brazil strongly preferred.
• Pre-existing authorisation to work in the United Kingdom or United States.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter and your resume to email@example.com, indicating “Chief Programmes Officer” in the subject line of your email.
Please note that due to the very high number of applications we receive every time a position is posted, we are unfortunately only able to respond directly to candidates with whom we wish to move forward in the interview process.
Malala Fund is committed to safeguarding children and employment with our team is conditional upon successfully completing a background check.