Excellence Community Schools is a charter management, non-profit organization. The mission of the Excellence Community Schools is to prepare young people to compete for admission to and succeed in top public, private, and parochial high schools by cultivating their intellectual, artistic, social, and emotional and ethical development through the Bronx Charter School for Excellence (Bronx Excellence) and the Stamford Charter School for Excellence (Stamford Excellence). Our network of schools accomplish this by offering a challenging and rigorous academic curriculum - which at the earliest of grades has an eye towards college preparation. We achieve this in a supportive and caring environment that at all times has high expectations of our students.
The mission of the Schools and Innovation department is to provide an array of college and career readiness services on the Excellence Community Schools Pre-K through 16 educational spectrum. These services focus on the development of the whole child, empowering the family and transforming communities.
The Controller will have the primary responsibility for the overall effective financial management of all assets and liabilities, supervising the daily operations of the Finance team, ensuring complete and accurate recording of transactions in the general ledger and prompt reconciliations, monitoring accounts receivable and payable collections, and working with auditors to ensure overall compliance with accounting/tax pronouncements. The ideal candidate will be a proactive, hands-on strategic thinker who, in partnership with the CFO, will have responsibility for all aspects of the finance function. This is a full-time exempt 12 month position.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures.
- Coordinate and support all audit activity and preparation of 990 by external audit firm.
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner.
- Create monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements.
- Assist in annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate.
- Oversee all financial, project/program, and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grants/fund period.
- Develop financial modeling and budget for government and foundation submissions.
- Process payables; receivables; receipts; invoicing; payroll.
- Manage organizational cash flow forecasting by working in partnership with senior leadership.
- Support Chief Executive Officer and Chief Financial Officer in engaging the Board’s Finance committee around organizational budgets, forecasts, and issues and trends in financial operating models and delivery.
- Develop and manage accounting team.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required;
- Minimum of seven years of accounting and finance experience, ideally beginning in accounting and audit required.
- Experience gathering, evaluating, presenting and reporting financial information to executive teams and external stakeholders required.
- Experience with budget development and forecasting required.
- Extensive knowledge of non-profit accounting required.
- Constantly looking to apply best practices preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to the social sector with a passion for the organization’s mission is essential preferred.
- Expertise in INTACCT and Excel preferred.
Benefits & Compensation:
- Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Health, dental, vision, & 403b Retirement benefits available.
- Performance-based compensation for staff.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply for the Controller position, please click the link above.
To learn more about our schools, please visit www.excellencecommunityschools.org