20 North Upper Wacker Drive
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana, and Beijing.
Our Litigation team works on cases spanning a broad range of environmental issues, such as combating climate change, protecting public health, promoting environmental justice, curbing air and water pollution, preserving wildlife and wild places, and reducing overfishing. In recent years, the Litigation team has brought cases to defend the National Monuments, challenge the suspension of the Clean Water Rule, safeguard the people of Flint, Michigan from continued exposure to lead in drinking water, remediate toxic pollution in the Penobscot River, and abate mold in New York City public housing for residents with asthma.
NRDC is seeking an Administrative Assistant based in our Chicago office to support our fast-growing Litigation team.
Support the Litigation Operations Manager and two Litigation Directors (35%):
- Maintain appointment schedules by planning and scheduling meetings, teleconferences, travel, and follow-up
- Process expense reports
- Facilitate videoconferencing calls and prepare materials for meetings
- Serve as a conduit for team members, including by collecting and analyzing information
Provide administrative support for the Litigation team (65%):
- Track budget and grant expenses and reporting requirements
- Perform tasks necessary to meet NRDC’s compliance with continuing legal education (CLE) accreditation requirements (e.g. processing certificates of completion)
- Support hiring processes, including recruitment, hiring and onboarding for new staff and interns
- Perform data entry and file maintenance
- Compile meeting agendas and take minutes
- Manage the team’s online subscriptions and law libraries
- Manage NRDC’s litigation calendar and litigation databases
- Perform regular litigation docket checks and download court filings, as needed
- Process invoices and expense reports for team members, as needed
- Create and maintain team archives
- Proofread, format, copy, scan, mail, and fax documents
- Schedule meetings and organize retreats
- Generate, maintain and manage reports designed to provide support for the Litigation team
- 3+ years of administrative experience, and ongoing focus on building a career in administration / operations
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to manage time exceptionally well, execute multiple projects, and balance priorities
- Self-starter who can work independently in a fast-paced environment
- Team player with a professional manner, positive attitude and sense of humor
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Outlook
- Previous executive support preferred, including experience working with expense processing software (e.g. Concur / Great Plains)
- Interest in social justice and the environment is a plus
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org.
Minimum Education Required