Details: Salary will be commensurate with experience
District of Columbia
Families USA, a national voice for health care consumers dedicated to the achievement of high-quality, affordable health care for all, is seeking a Senior Director of Communications to guide the organization’s messaging and communications strategy. The Senior Director of Communications will oversee the implementation of a comprehensive, coordinated communications plan designed to help the organization reach its policy goals. This plan should include elements related to traditional media, social media, websites, CRM database, all content development (including editing and designing), message development, marketing and branding. The Senior Director of Communications will manage approximately five staff members and directly advising the executive director on organizational strategy and direction.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Proactively create and direct organization’s communications strategy and produce timely deliverables
- Develop long-term communications strategies, including developing future report ideas, identifying messaging opportunities, and recognizing possible partnership opportunities
- Oversee editorial and content strategy and marketing efforts for the organization through planning, spotting/diagnosing emerging internal/external trends, triaging priorities and unexpected needs for content production and messaging, and spotting opportunities for content creation where there are gaps
- Supervise approximately 4-5 staff members and oversee the communications budget, developing clear, coordinated processes for the execution of department responsibilities
- Supervise the production of original social media and digital content, ensuring that content is accurate, on message, vetted properly through correct appropriate staff, and in keeping with our tone/brand for each channel
- Lead the organization’s earned media work, including the creation and oversight of the execution of earned media plans
- Oversee standards and quality control of user experience, content presentation, and functionality across all digital properties to achieve the organization’s strategic goals
- Supervise staff and work product of the Storytelling Initiatives Program, intake and dissemination of stories across a wide variety of earned and owned media channels
- Provide guidance for contract employees and freelancers, as necessary, including, but not limited to: editors, designers, and web developers
- Manage design staff and visually branded products
- Oversee the building and maintenance of relationships with members of the media, fellow communications staff in allied organizations, and communications professionals on the Hill and in the Administration
- Oversee execution of press events, including editorial board meetings, both in DC and remotely
- Provide organizational leadership around communications best practices, including staff trainings, developing talking points, etc.
- In collaboration with colleagues, oversee messaging, external communications and polling research (e.g., focus groups, etc.)
- Maintain best practices and operations for all digital technology systems used for the website and various FUSA operations. (ex. Drupal, Salesforce, Pardot, social media tools, analytics/tracking tools such as Google Analytics)
- Oversee staff responsible for both technical integration and the strategies among these systems
- Stay current on best practices, trends, and technologies related to content creation, communications, media, and marketing
- Make final decisions on digital technology selections and digital strategies as well as which content is produced and how it’s distributed in conjunction with the senior directors
- Liaise with Families USA’s Board of Directors through the Policy and Communications Workgroup
- Oversee the maintenance of the Families USA style guide and brand book
- Collaborate with the Fundraising Department on grants, as appropriate
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Marketing or a related field. 10+ years’ working experience managing communications strategy development, preferably in a nonprofit or advocacy environment. Experience working with or for the Administration and/or Capitol Hill preferred. Extensive department management and staff supervision experience. Content strategy experience across a variety of advocacy or nonprofit organizations. Ability to act nimbly in a fast-paced environment with changing news cycles and priorities. Experience developing/executing digital and earned media campaign plans and content marketing plans. Experience creating, maintaining, executing content and strategy for nonprofits. Knowledge of health care policy is highly desired.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume online via the link below. The salary will be commensurate with experience. Families USA offers a generous benefits package including excellent health insurance, life and long-term disability insurance benefits and generous vacation, sick leave, and holiday schedules. Families USA is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified veterans and diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.
Families USA offers a generous benefits package including excellent health insurance, life and long-term disability insurance benefits and generous vacation, sick leave, and holiday schedules.
Minimum Education Required