Vote Solar’s mission is to repower the U.S. with clean energy by making solar power more accessible and affordable through effective policy advocacy. We are a non-profit organization with headquarters in Oakland, CA, and regional offices in Colorado, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Mexico, North Carolina, Utah, Vermont, and Washington, D.C. We are in search of a top-notch candidate to design, campaign for, and implement key policies for making solar more affordable and accessible in the lower Southeast, with priority states being Florida and Georgia.
The Regional Director/Manager will be responsible for advancing solar policies in assigned states in the Southeast. Activities include:
- Identifying solar policy needs and opportunities in target states. Policy issues may include rate design community solar, interconnection standards, tariff design, renewable procurement policies, utility resource planning, tax policy, and financing programs.
- Planning and executing comprehensive regulatory and legislative campaigns to advance solar policy.
- Building policymaker and regulator support for solar policy through education, testimony, direct intervention, fact sheets, quantitative analysis, presentations and relationship building.
- Leveraging grassroots supporters and key influencers to turn solar’s broad popularity into effective political power.
- Working with our internal communications team to plan and implementing media and social media plans to support campaign objectives.
- Building external partnerships and helping lead coalitions to increase the effectiveness of our campaigns
The ideal candidate is a friendly policy-oriented person who knows their way around the legislative arena, and has demonstrated campaign skills. We are looking for someone who can:
- Become an expert on complex solar policy topics.
- Develop and execute successful legislative campaigns.
- Write and present formal testimony.
- Work collaboratively and lead/build coalitions of stakeholders.
- Communicate effectively for legislative and general audiences.
- Work independently, effectively and creatively.
- Applicants should have at least three years of experience working on legislative campaigns, or other transferable policy work.
- Experience with statewide political organizing or campaigning is preferred.
- Familiarity with solar/energy policy in the Southeast, and relationships with state and regional stakeholders are also a plus.
This position will ideally be based in either Florida or Georgia, but other Southeast states will be considered. As this position will require regional travel, proximity to transportation hubs is important.
Vote Solar provides full-time staff with a competitive package, including paid vacation and sick time, health care and a retirement savings plan. We are an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourage leaders of color, women and those who identify as LGBTQ to apply.
Minimum Education Required