65 Leadenhall Street
Girls Not Brides is seeking an experienced Head of Communications to provide leadership on all aspects of communications for this dynamic, results-driven global partnership. They will serve as a key strategic thought-leader on the management team, with oversight of internal and external communications, digital engagement and media strategies.
Based in the Girls Not Brides office in central London, the Head of Communications is a key part of the Management Team, championing effective communications throughout the work of the organisation. They manage three professional communications staff, as well as a range of external consultants. The Head of Communications will ensure that Girls Not Brides is using communications effectively to further the strategic objectives of the Partnership, and help drive global movement to end child marriage around the world.
The Head of Communications will be expected to design and oversee the delivery of successful communications, digital and news media strategies for Girls Not Brides. They will be expected to bring a communications lens into all aspects of the Partnership’s work, including by providing creative input to the planning of global meetings and events, ensuring effective messaging and branding, identifying innovative approaches to foster member collaboration. They will also work with colleagues, trustees, high-level champions, and other advocates, to ensure that our key messages are being effectively delivered to target audiences. Driven by a belief in the power of partnership, the Head of Communications will be able to engage and empower Girls Not Brides members, and encourage collaboration, with humility and sensitivity.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the development and implementation of effective, high quality strategic communications, digital and media strategies in line with Girls Not Brides values and organisational objectives
- Develop and ensure consistent messaging for Girls Not Brides leadership, secretariat team, champions and the broader Partnership
- Manage the communications team (Senior Digital Communications Officer, Media & Communications Officer and Communications Assistant and occasional interns), including professional development and growth
- Oversee the management of Girls Not Brides/Filles Pas Epouses websites, working with the Senior Digital Communications Officer to build Girls Not Brides’ online presence, including social media management, e-communications, website development and content creation
- Oversee media outreach at international and national levels, working with the Media & Communications Officer to promote awareness of child marriage, the work of our members and the strategies and resources required to end it
- Supervise the drafting, editing and distribution of all external communications materials
- Draft op-eds, speeches, and other high-impact communications materials, especially for high-profile champions
- Commission relevant print, broadcast, photographs, films and other online materials for use by partners across different geographies
- Manage the preparation and editing of reports and other materials, including by identifying and managing relevant external consultants
- Engage and manage communications consultants and contractors.
- Harness and cultivate the communications expertise, talents and resources of Girls Not Brides members to support their global, national and grassroots efforts to end child marriage
- Provide advice and training to members and partners developing communications strategies and effective messages at local, national and regional levels
- Oversee the use of effective tools to facilitate information sharing and communications among the members of the Partnership, including newsletters, webinars, website, social media and other tools.
Extending the reach of Girls Not Brides and our members
- Manage communications strategy and outreach for Girls Not Brides events and meetings, as well as staff and Trustees’ visits to high prevalence and donor countries
- Proactively identify opportunities (including trips, events and media appearances) to profile the voices of key advocates to reach target audiences, and work with these advocates to ensure effectivel delivery
- Nurture ongoing relationships with Girls Not Brides Champions and other spokespersons and advocates across sectors (including politics, business, grassroots activists and NGOs)
- Contribute to the broader strategic, policy and programmatic work of Girls Not Brides.
- Provide strategic communications advice and support to cross-team projects
- Manage brand identity across all communications and other platforms, alignment with brand guidelines and style guide
- Provide support and coaching to team members, the Board of Trustees, and other champions for media and public appearances as required.
Communications skills and experience
- Relevant tertiary educational/professional background, or extensive proven experience working in communications
- Demonstrated ability to create, develop and deliver effective communications strategies on global social issues, that align with and further an organisation’s strategic goals
- Expertise in creating traditional media content, web content, managing online community engagement and online campaigning
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage internal communications
- Recognition that communications is important to all aspects of an organisation’s work
- Proven experience in working effectively with media contacts worldwide on global social issues
- Crisis and reputation management experience; maturity and discretion
- Experience in working with and amplifying the voices of a wide range of stakeholders, including grassroots activists and high-profile figures
- Excellent writing skills, including a demonstrated ability to write engaging, clear and concise copy for varied audiences
- Experience in using communications to advance a cause (rather than the just the profile of a single organisation)
- A keen eye for accuracy and detail
- Excellent written and spoken English; fluency in French is highly desirable; proficiency in another relevant language is desirable.
Management and interpersonal qualities
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to empower the communications team and other colleagues to deliver high quality, effective and timely messages using conventional and new media platforms
- Strong management skills including experience managing a team as well as external contractors such as PR companies, web developers, video crews, photographers
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to prepare and manage budgets related to the communications team’s work
- Ability to work across teams, with colleagues based outside of London, on specific projects
- Experience working with diverse alliances in different cultural environments
- Ability to work with sensitivity and diplomacy with a range of stakeholders, including minors and people living in vulnerable situations or insecurity
- Ability to respectfully guide spokespersons who may not have had prior experience speaking to the media
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, meet tight deadlines and juggle multiple priorities
- Interest in development issues and/or women’s and girls’ empowerment
- Experience working in developing countries or with developing country partners strongly preferred
- Willingness to travel internationally when necessary, sometimes at short notice.
Girls Not Brides offers a generous benefits package for its employees.
Level of Language Proficiency
Excellent written and spoken English; fluency in French is highly desirable; proficiency in another relevant language is desirable.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please send your CV and a brief cover letter demonstrating how you meet the criteria for this position to recruitment@GirlsNotBrides.org by 23:00 GMT on 11 August 2018 clearly stating “Head of Communications” and your name in the subject line.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons.
We regret that due to the large number of applications anticipated, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
At Girls Not Brides we are committed to the wellbeing, empowerment and rights of children, and to safeguarding children from harm in all of our activities. Girls Not Brides aims to promote an environment of trust and understanding where the welfare of children is paramount. You will be expected to adhere to the Girls Not Brides Child Safeguarding Policy and its Code of Conduct and report any concerns relating to the safeguarding of children in accordance with agreed procedures.
The successful candidate may be required to undergo a DBS check. We reserve the right to withdraw a job offer, if the results show anything that would make the applicant unsuitable for the role.