Details: Competitive compensation based on experience. Includes full health, dental, vision and retirement benefits. Parking provided.
1145 Wilshire Blvd.
Asian Americans Advancing Justice - Los Angeles (Advancing Justice-LA) is seeking an experienced candidate for the position of Communications Director to oversee a comprehensive communications strategy that includes supporting the work plan and priorities of 12 different program areas and units, in addition to regional offices in Orange County, San Gabriel Valley, and Sacramento. The communications director will be responsible for overseeing a robust and nimble communications shop whose portfolio, in 2017, included 59 press releases, 42 affiliate statements, 20 press conferences, resulting in over 1,500 mainstream and ethnic media hits.
Reporting directly to the V.P. of Program Strategy, the communications director will lead a team of two staff members, including a communications manager and communications coordinator and appropriate consultants/contractors. As a member of the senior leadership team, the position is expected to work collaboratively with individual supervisors to ensure the effective and successful integration of the communications arm into all aspects of Advancing Justice-LA’s programs, policy campaigns, and services. The position will also work closely with Advancing Justice affiliate communications staff to broaden the impact of affiliate-wide communications projects and campaigns.
Responsibilities and Duties:
Leadership, Strategy, & Vision
● Oversee implementation of Advancing Justice-LA’s 2018 communications goals and priorities which includes engaging a growing base of supporters through an integrated digital organizing strategy and overhauling the Advancing Justice-LA website
● Collaborate with program and development staff on messaging for key audiences and identify communications opportunities; grow and help build communications and media skills of Advancing Justice-LA staff through the facilitation of regular trainings
● Provide strategic guidance on affiliate-wide communications projects that strengthen the shared Advancing Justice brand, including coordination with other affiliate communications staff on affiliate-wide campaigns, joint statement and releases (e.g. responding to anti-defamation incidents, anti-immigrant legislation and policies, etc.)
● Provide leadership in supporting strategic communications training, technical assistance, and message development for AA&NHPI partners and allies
● Develop innovative message testing and message development for a range of issues critical to AA&NHPI communities
● Develop and actively cultivate Advancing Justice-LA’s relationships with media, including reporters, editors, and producers at key mainstream and ethnic media outlets
● Ensure coverage by mainstream, ethnic, and new media of Advancing Justice-LA's work through an effective media relations strategy that includes drafting press releases, advisories, press conferences
● Engage in persuasive and creative pitching to national, state, and local outlets on a regular basis
● Exercise judgement to prioritize media opportunities, including exclusives and embargoed releases; prepare staff and clients with talking points and through mock interviews, as needed
● Provide strategic leadership in strengthening digital engagement, including identifying opportunities for rapid response, online pledges, letter campaigns, and targeted fundraising appeals
● Utilize a “ladder (or circle) of engagement” approach to Advancing Justice-LA's contact database, and identify opportunities to segment lists in order to more effectively engage supporters
● Oversee production of new content and ongoing development of Advancing Justice-LA’s website, including management of a website overhaul and relaunch in 2018
● Identify strategies and utilize analytics reports to more effectively engage and grow followers on social media
Print & Marketing Collateral
● Oversee development and production of Advancing Justice-LA’s communications vehicles such as annual report, videos, donor relations materials, and other marketing collateral (i.e. organizational and client brochures)
● Ensure uniform messaging and consistent design standards across the organization
● Supervise communications manager and communications coordinator; mentor and develop team members through supportive and collaborative feedback
● Assign duties, set objectives, establish priorities in a fast-paced, campaign-like work environment
● Strong track record of managing a comprehensive strategic communications plan, including media relations, digital advocacy, branding and marketing, ideally within a social justice organization or non-profit setting
● Demonstrated skill and comfort in placing earned media (ethnic and/or mainstream) through proactive relationship building with reporters and editors
● Demonstrated experience in developing and executing an integrated digital communications strategy across all online platforms (website, email, social media), including digital advocacy content, calls to action, petitions, letter campaigns, videos, and infographics
● Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with Advancing Justice-LA’s Board of Directors, other donors, and supporters
● Creative and highly-organized approach to work, with proven ability to meet deadlines and perform under pressure
● Demonstrated ability to balance independence and manage multiple projects simultaneously in a highly collaborative work environment
● Ability to supervise and provide ongoing mentorship to staff and interns
● Sincere commitment to social justice for Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander communities
● Existing contacts with media including print, radio, TV and bloggers preferred
● Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed
● California driver's license, insurance, and access to a vehicle
● Bilingual in an Asian language, a plus
Agency Description: Asian Americans Advancing Justice - LA (Advancing Justice-LA) is the nation’s largest Asian American, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander (AANHPI) legal and civil rights organization and serves more than 15,000 individuals and organizations every year. Founded in 1983, Advancing Justice-LA’s mission is to advocate for civil rights, provide legal services and education, and build coalitions to positively influence and impact Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders and to create a more equitable and harmonious society. Advancing Justice-LA seeks to serve the most vulnerable members of the AANHPI communities while also building a strong AANHPI voice for civil rights and social justice. Advancing Justice-LA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit cover letter, resume, and three writing samples via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Communications Director” in your subject line. No phone calls.