40 West 20th Street
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana, and Beijing.
NRDC’s digital engagement efforts are growing fast in response to serious threats to our environment, health, and safety coming from the Trump administration, their big polluter industry allies, and Congress. As a result, our base of supporters has also expanded significantly. The Digital Advocacy and Fundraising Coordinator will play a critical role in increasing the capacity of the Digital Advocacy and Fundraising team, coordinate the growing schedule of events and activities for our new NRDC All In online/offline super-activist platform, provide advocacy and fundraising campaign support to the team’s Digital Campaign Managers, and serve as the main point of contact for advocacy inquiries from members (donors) and activists.
This position reports to the Senior Director of Digital Advocacy and Fundraising. We will prioritize candidates who can work in our New York City office.
- Lead growing online and offline engagement and advocacy event strategy (tactics include meetups, town halls, concerts, festivals, panels, rallies, member conference calls, screenings, etc.), including:proactively identifying events around the country to promote
- serving as a main point of contact for event partners inside and outside NRDC
- drafting and editing promotional materials for events, including email invites, RSVP forms, SMS alerts, social media posts, flyers, etc.
- coordinating event promotion, including email, SMS, social media, web, paid advertising, etc.
- drafting, editing, and coordinating production of support materials for events (signage, factsheets, print petitions, flyers, etc.)
- developing and improving on-the-ground email sign-up strategies at events (e.g. iPads, signup sheets, post-cards, SMS, etc.)
- managing event logistics (registration, materials, travel, volunteers, follow-up calls/emails, etc.)
- attending/staffing events, educating the public, recruiting activists, and distributing information
- recruiting and coordinating staff and volunteers to help with events
- preparing post-event reports (email report, RSVPs and attendance, recruitment, etc.)
- Reply to high volume of advocacy-related inquiries from members, activists, and the public, including: responding to phone call, email and SMS inquiries, and following through on requests for assistance
- monitoring responses to advocacy-related matters, treating responses as engagement opportunities and answering questions about upcoming events
- monitoring, compiling, and distributing email feedback from activists after advocacy campaigns or events
- managing coordination between the Membership, Social Media, and Communications Departments to ensure that member responses are up to date, consistent and relevant
- Provide general advocacy-related support to Digital Campaign Managers, including:
- drafting and editing action alert emails and campaign page copy
- coordinating all member and activist comment submission for state and federal public comment period processes
- managing the email and SMS messaging calendar
- producing and launching SMS alerts in our Mobile Commons SMS system, and responding to replies from activists via SMS
- assisting in drafting post-campaign reports
- editing, reviewing, and testing links in all draft activism and fundraising emails
- assisting with aspects of paid and organic email acquisition and advertising efforts
- providing campaign and administrative support for our growing online fundraising activities
- A minimum of one year of professional experience in digital advocacy and engagement for a nonprofit organization or communications firm
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills, including experience writing direct response advocacy emails, event invitations, SMS text alert copy, and the ability to adapt writing style to a pre-existing “voice”
- Demonstrated ability to quickly master complex issues, take direction, turn around plans and campaigns quickly and meet strict deadlines
- A solid understanding of email and web copy writing best practices, demonstrated ability to produce copy that is clear, compelling, and motivating, and ability to turn around copy on a same-day basis when news developments warrant it
- Experience producing and analyzing response rate reports in Excel
- Working knowledge of eCRMs and digital tools (ActionKit, Luminate Online, EveryAction, Mobile Commons, P2P tools, etc.) and their technical capabilities as they relate to digital strategy and campaign planning is a plus
- Strong organizational and administrative skills and attention to detail
- A deep concern for the natural world, a belief in the power of grassroots action to make a difference, and a commitment to using a large membership and online activist network to help protect the environment is preferred
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-899-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required