CVSC seeks a highly motivated person with experience in movement building to join the CVSC leadership team and focus on strengthening partnerships within the conservation community and building new and transformative relationships with additional allies that seek to protect the environment in a just and equitable way. The position will report to the Executive Director and serve on the CVSC leadership team, working closely with the Campaigns Director, Deputy Director, and Executive Director to build partnerships to advance the mission and goals of CVSC as well as expand the organizations focus to address the needs of partner organizations.
The Director of Strategic Partnerships will lead the creation and implementation of our movement building strategy to expand and deepen authentic, long-term partnerships between CVSC, our existing conservation allies, communities of color, low-income communities, rural towns, and other communities most impacted by climate change and environmental harm. Through this work, the position will ensure that community-driven equitable and just policy solutions and action are incorporated and reflected in the work of CVSC. We seek to develop enduring partnerships centered in a shared vision, goals, and commitment to action grounded in shared power and resources, mutual respect, authenticity, and collaborative decision making. The Director of Strategic Partnerships will work closely with and provide counsel to the executive leaders and staff of CVSC, as well as our conservation allies. The ideal candidate is an experienced and effective leader, who has built multi-racial coalitions and/or partnerships grounded in principles of equity and justice; a creative thinker; and an effective collaborator and coach
Location: Based in South Carolina, with option for remote working. CVSC has a physical office in Columbia, but during COVID work has been completed remotely. Post-COVID, occasional day and overnight travel will be required.
· Builds and maintains a diverse set of positive working relationships, collaborating and coordinating with policy experts, partner organizations, lobbyists, consultants, community leaders, businesses, and grassroots organizers;
· Work with CVSC leaders to craft an ambitious multi-year vision and strategy for strengthening movement building efforts, with a focus on building reciprocal and authentic partnerships with organizations led by and working in low income communities, communities of color, and other communities most impacted by climate change and environmental harm. Ensure resource sharing and capacity building are integrated into the strategy.
· Support campaign staff’s efforts to build new partnerships and expand who they engage with in order to strengthen the political power of the climate and conservation movements; pass stronger policies that are relevant to, and improve the lives of people most impacted by climate change; and elevate and center the perspectives and influence of these communities.
· Work cross-departmentally with CVSC campaign staff to increase funding, capacity, and other resources for our campaigns and partners in these campaigns.
· Plan and implement a new training program to build CVSC’s skills in movement building, coalition building and developing partnerships, in coordination with CVSC campaign staff and Racial Justice & Equity Committee members, as needed.
· Identify, engage, invest in, and listen to community leaders as we work towards a more representative and inclusive conservation movement.
· Participate in and assume leadership roles in the South Carolina Conservation Coalition, helping to facilitate ongoing collaboration between traditional conservation partners. Identify opportunities for capacity building and establishing a strategic vision to guide the work of the coalition while also centering racial justice and equity in the Coalition’s efforts.
· Encourage our conservation allies in South Carolina to uphold, advance, and evolve shared racial and economic justice principles and help develop tools for learning and self-assessment.
· Develop strategies and tactics for CVSC and our conservation partners to eliminate barriers caused by institutional racism in political and policy making structures, and work collaboratively to ensure full participation by communities of color, low-income communities, working families, and other impacted communities.
· Support the advancement of a broad set of clean energy, climate resilience, and environmental policy goals that help to tackle systemic racial and economic inequities.
· Serve as a member of the Leadership Team to craft a multi-year vision and plans for building CVSC’s capacity on partnerships. Support the Deputy Director and Executive Director to develop and manage the organization's budget for this scope of work.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· At least 4-5 years of experience working with racially and socioeconomically diverse coalitions and/or partners, including: Extensive experience building high performing coalitions and/or developing deep partnerships with racially and socioeconomically diverse groups that vary in capacity; Experience mediating and resolving conflicts between partner groups; Experience in providing capacity building training in organizational development for partner organizations and/or volunteers; Knowledge of issue advocacy -- including grassroots organizing, electoral, and issue campaign strategies; or Strong relationships with Indigenous, Black, Asian Pacific Islander, and/or Latinx community leaders, and preferably leaders who are working on environmental justice and climate organizing.
· Emotional intelligence, strong interpersonal skills, humor, humility, compassion, patience and persistence.
· Demonstrated ability to develop collaborative, productive, respectful relationships with leaders and organizations representing grassroots, community-based organizations.
· Ability to coach and train leaders, managers, and staff at all levels on how to effectively create and manage multi-racial coalitions and/or partnerships.
· A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion - a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
· Excellent written and verbal communication, facilitation, and public speaking skills. An ability to communicate complex information in a clear and concise manner in person, over video conferencing, and over the telephone
· Strong attention to detail, fast and willing learner, strong organizational skills and ability to follow up and meet deadlines.
· Cultural competence - Demonstrated awareness of one’s own cultural identity, views about difference, and the ability to learn and build on varying cultural and community norms. Shares our commitment to increasing racial justice and equity in our movement and organization, integrating these principles into all of the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
Preferred skills and qualifications
· A passion for conservation and environmental efforts to protect our air, land, and water.
· Experience working with or within environmental justice organizations and/or local and state environmental organizations working in low-income communities or communities of color.
· Deep justice analysis and understanding of structural and institutional inequity and interpersonal power dynamics and proven ability to analyze situations to engage and address them.
· Ability to create, plan, and implement strategies tailored to varying geographic and political contexts.
· Knowledge and understanding of environmental issues and the types of policies used to advance environmental protection and climate action at the state and federal level.
· Proficiency and substantial experience with standard office productivity software and equipment; ability to read, process, and synthesize printed materials on paper or standard computer screen.
· Experience working in politics, campaigns, or advocacy.
Work environment: This is a leanly-staffed, fast-paced organization whose staff has enthusiasm for the mission and tasks of CVSC. We are seeking another effective, productive, enjoyable and highly ethical member of the team who will take responsibility and leadership for implementing assigned tasks.
Terms of employment: The position is full-time, contingent on continued funding (grants and individual donations). This includes a 40- hour workweek with the need for flexible scheduling, depending on the nature of an issue or timeframe. Occasional out of town travel will be required.
CVSC is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace.
Salary/Benefits: CVSC offers a competitive non-profit sector salary for this position in the $60,000 - $70,000 range, depending on qualifications. CVSC also offers a robust benefits package that includes full health, vision, dental, and short-term disability insurance, retirement contributions, and generous vacation and state holiday schedules.
CVSC seeks a highly motivated person with experience in movement building to join the CVSC leadership team and focus on strengthening partnerships within the conservation community and building new and transformative relationships…
CVSC offers a robust benefits package that includes full health, vision, dental, and short-term disability insurance, retirement contributions, and generous vacation and state holiday schedules.
CVSC offers a robust benefits package that includes full health, vision, dental, and short-term disability insurance, retirement contributions, and generous vacation and state…
Please submit your resume and a cover letter that addresses how your expertise matches the job description and why you want to work to protect the air, land, and water of South Carolina to email@example.com with Director of Strategic Partnerships in the subject line. The position will remain open until filled.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter that addresses how your expertise matches the job description and why you want to work to protect the air, land, and water of South…