Streetwork Project is the oldest street outreach program for homeless and street-involved youth in New York City. The program has grown from its beginnings in 1984 as a storefront project to encompass both outreach and comprehensive harm reduction services. Streetwork’s programs are innovative outreach-counseling programs for homeless youth, which use a harm reudction, client centered, and trauma informed approach. Services include counseling, HIV prevention, case management, drop-in, daily living services, meals, groups, legal services, syringe exchange and overdose prevention services, mental health, and medical. The core service is long-term, one-on-one counseling, which is offered in a non-judgemental and holistic manner utilizing a harm reduction approach that focuses on building trust, fostering self-esteem, exploring options and choices, and empowering youth to change their high-risk behaviors. The Streetwork Overnight is a 24 bed facility for homeless youth ages 16-21. Services include: counseling, case management, meals, laundry, showers, support groups, and access to medical and psychiatric care.
Essential Job Functions:
· Provide clinical and task supervision to Overnight Case Managers;
· Provide supervision and support regarding all mental health issues;
· Provide emergency, crisis counseling and clinical assessments;
· Provide intensive case management, counseling and referrals to residential clients;
· Oversight of all clinical services, including the implementation of staff trainings, workshops and clinical case conferencing;
· Coordinate and advocate for clients’ housing placements, including transitional independent living;
· Oversee all discharges, referrals and extensions;
· Supervision of all group services;
· Responsible for maintaining client records and conducting internal audits;
· Coordination of inter-site clinical case conferences with Drop-In Center Supervising Social Workers;
· Coordination of psychiatric services with Satellite Clinic at Streetwork Uptown Drop-in;
· Co-facilitation of weekly staff meetings;
· Provide back-up support to the Director;
· In charge in absence of the Director;
· Responsible for after hours on-call supervision on a rotating basis;
Secondary Job Functions:
· Attend monthly RHY provider meetings on rotation basis;
· Attend and participate in weekly Streetwork Directors meeting, representing the Overnight;
· Assist the Director with administrative duties, such as programmatic ordering and reconciliations of Metrocards and petty cash;
· Support the oversight of daily program activities;
· Perform data entry of program funded activities;
· Participate at staff trainings, staff meetings, staff group process workshops, and monthly cross site meetings;
· Other duties as assigned.
- 6 Overnight Case Managers
- Understanding of issues confronting homeless youth;
- Understanding of harm reduction philosophy and practice;
- Compassionate and non-judgmental approach;
- Ability to incorporate Evidence Base Framework in working with youth
- Masters in Social Work or related Masters Degree.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience with appropriate clinical background including experience working with at-risk adolescents and/or homeless population.
- Two years’ experience working within a harm reduction setting is strongly preferred.
- Two years’ experience providing clinical supervision is required.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred.
- Full-time with flexible hours required, including late night, possible overnight and weekends on emergency basis.
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon’s rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed, my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either the company or me. I further understand that no representation, whether oral or written by any representative or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes a contract of employment
Please follow this link to view complete EEO Law and complaint filing information:
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply
Minimum Education Required