The National Multiple Sclerosis Society mobilizes people and resources to drive research for a cure and to address the challenges of everyone affected by MS. To fulfill this mission, the Society funds cutting-edge research, drives change through advocacy, facilitates professional education, collaborates with MS organizations around the world, and provides programs and services designed to help people with MS and their families move their lives forward. We partner with volunteers to accomplish our work. Staff members engage volunteers through effective and timely communications, facilitating meaningful opportunities, and continually seeking and providing feedback for reciprocal growth and learning.
The Director of Content leads organization-wide content strategy, acquisition and development -- ensuring integration across Society channels and functional areas and maximum impact in advancing the Strategic Plan. The Director leads content team staff and oversees the centralized curation, development and distribution of timely, relevant and compelling content to channel and production leaders to optimize engagement of Society constituents.
1. Content strategy, planning, integration, acquisition and development
- Leads the development and implementation of centralized content planning, acquisition and development for integration across Society communication channels, including, but not limited to, print, online and social, and specific publications including MS Connection newsletter content, email campaigns and Momentum magazine
- Manages the development, execution and continuous improvement of all processes related to content curation, production and quality assurance; manages content tools and practices
- Oversees content planning -- ensuring content aligns with marketing strategies and organizational goals; is informed by learnings and the diverse needs, interests, experiences and perspectives of constituents
- Serves as lead writer and supports messaging/content for priority projects, including Society Leadership Conference scripting/materials, Public Policy Conference, annual reports, etc.
- Oversees editorial strategy, including voice, style, language guidelines, concept development, message/topic/theme development and workflow
- Oversees content production, including creation, copywriting, proofreading/editing/fact checking, delivery, and converting for appropriate channels
- Upholds Society standards, systems and practices for content creation, distribution and maintenance; ensures content is on-brand, consistent in terms of style, quality and tone, and optimized for user experience, including leading all updates and distribution of the Society's language handbook
- Works closely across all functional areas to coordinate content for relevant topical areas, and integrate content for the specific channel(s) leveraged, includes leading team of subject matter experts
- Ensures educational publications are accurate and up to date--overseeing content development and expert review processes and working closely with traffickers to ensure schedule and plan integration
- Serves as liaison to vendors and contract writers, including providing direction on various projects; processing contracts and invoices; and, attending press checks as needed.
- Facilitates opportunities for volunteers related to content.
- Oversees multi-channel advertising program for the National MS Society's print and online magazine, Momentum, as well as other Society print and digital communication channels
2. Staff management
- Prioritizes and assigns work to staff to ensure timely and high-quality delivery of the content plan and to maximize overall effectiveness and continuous improvement
- Oversees the hiring, training and supervision of all direct reports, including staff performance reviews and planning performance goals
- Ensures staff and volunteers have the tools and resources required to accomplish their job
- Monitors staff and volunteer performance and provides feedback and coaching
- Coordinates professional staff development and training
- Bachelor of Arts or Science
- 6 to 10 years of relevant experience in communications and content strategy and development for targeted constituents/audiences, and in writing/editing for all platforms, including print, online, etc., with a focus on consumer, educational, or health topics is critical. Additional experience in public relations strategy and crisis communications, advertising and publications management, as well as promotional approaches/implementation of content is strongly preferred.
- Time management and a willingness to embrace change and adapt strategies are essential.
- Excellent and strategic communicator, both verbally and written.
- Proven editorial skills; an arbiter of Society and industry best practices in grammar, messaging, writing and style.
- Innovative thinker with a track record of translating strategic thinking into action plans and deliverables.
- Strong project facilitation, process development and management skills needed
- Ability to lead and inspire teams across departments and varying levels.
- Knowledge of multi-channel opportunities to meet desired goals, ex: online, social media, chapter channels, etc.
- Understanding of advertising practices and revenue/expense management essential
- Effective negotiator and collaborator with strong consensus-building skills.
- Must be proactive, reliable, responsible and accurate with an attention to detail.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Knowledge of both print and online production processes, including content management systems; creative process and template management; asset management systems
- Commitment to the mission, vision, cultural values, and expectations of the National MS Society
- (IF APPLICABLE) This position will be required to drive/travel on Society business. Candidate must possess a valid driver's license, proof of insurance and reliable transportation. The Society does run motor vehicle checks for all positions which require driving and the applicant must meet the Society guidelines.
- (IF APPLICABLE) Availability to work occasional nights and weekends to support events, committee meetings, etc
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society provides a highly competitive, comprehensive benefit package to employees. These benefits include a considerable Paid Time Off Plan; Paid Holidays; 401k Retirement Savings Plan with Society match; Educational Reimbursement Plan; Professional Development Assistance; Commuter Benefit Plan; Comprehensive Health & Welfare benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex Spending Accounts, Life Insurance, Disability Coverage, Life Assistance Plan as well as additional voluntary benefit offerings.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter by applying directly to the job posting located on our company website: