Assistant Teacher- Horizons Summer Enrichment Program
- Job posted by Horizons at San Francisco Friends School
Details: The rate of pay is $19-$22 per hour, commensurate with experience.
250 Valencia Street
Horizons at SFFS is seeking dedicated and enthusiastic Assistant Teachers with experience working with K–6th Grade youth and a strong desire to make a difference in the lives of low income students from San Francisco. The Assistant Teacher works with a Lead Teacher to design activities and lessons for the class, helps with the organization and supervision of playground and other activities, and accompanies students to swimming lessons and on field trips. He/she is a positive role model who collaborates with the Horizons staff and volunteers to support the academic and social-emotional success of each and every Horizons student throughout the six week summer program. Candidates must be willing to work as a team player to build this vibrant program and help fulfill the Horizons mission. He or she will work in collaboration with and report to the Lead Teacher and will serve as part of the larger Horizons at SFFS team. It is our hope that Horizons summer staff will be open to returning to the program for more than one summer, as we continue to work together, support our students, and build the program and the community.
Essential Job Functions
The Assistant Teacher will work with the Executive Director and Horizons staff and volunteers to develop and nurture a safe, respectful, challenging and inclusive learning environment where students have a strong sense of belonging and in which they feel happy, safe, and excited to participate. The Assistant Teacher will assist the Lead Teacher in the classroom duties of teaching and caring for 17 students during Horizons’ six week summer enrichment program at the San Francisco Friends School. Assistants will be involved in most, if not all, of the following duties at the direction of the Lead Teacher, Curriculum Director, and ED:
- Help plan daily classroom schedule and assist with instruction
- Supervise children during recess, lunchtime, arrival and dismissal
- Greet and build trust with parents and family members before and after school, at events, and throughout the 6 week program
- Maintain classroom spaces, prepare materials for lessons and conduct student observations
- Work with individual, small and large groups of children in all subjects
- Read aloud to students
- Provide short-term coverage for lead teachers, as needed.
- Help plan, accompany and provide encouragement to students during swim instruction lessons, field trips, and other activities
- Help plan and lead fun, community building games, activities and enrichment classes
- Participate in daily meals with the students, Family Nights, and Faculty Meetings
- Attend a one week orientation session prior to the start of the program. Timing will depend on scheduled workshops as well as individual classroom prep
- Assist in evaluating program effectiveness
- Help maintain ongoing communication with parents, caregivers and teachers
- Meet regularly with Lead Teacher, Curriculum Director, ED, volunteers, and others as needed to accomplish goals and/or problem-solve as issues occur
The ideal Assistant Teacher will be flexible, collaborative and mature, willing to adapt to the needs of his/her mentor teacher and the overall school/program and able to help implement strategies to engage students in active learning. Professional, caring educators who take initiative and demonstrate creative problem solving skills will find Horizons at SFFS to be a lively, inspiring and engaging community. In addition to a strong commitment to Horizon’s mission, this position requires:
- A strong passion for working with youth and a strong desire to address racial and socioeconomic disparities in educational opportunities and outcomes
- The ability to relate effectively to a diverse community, demonstrate an understanding of culturally responsive teaching and learn/implement effective strategies for teaching second language learners
- Understanding and knowledge of the issues and challenges facing Latino and other immigrant and low income families living in the Mission District
- Fluency in English/Spanish, (bicultural preferred)
- Experience in a K-6th Grade classroom supporting effective, project based academic curriculum
- Familiarity with classroom management strategies, social emotional learning, and the importance of developing children’s noncognitive skills such as focus, determination, empathy and self discipline
- Subject matter knowledge and interest in teaching an enrichment class in the arts, multi-media, or STEM
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational and time management skills
- Ability to learn from feedback and to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team
- BA, preferably in education, child development, or a related field
- An interest in developing his/her skills as an educator or working towards an elementary teaching credential or equivalent, (BCLAD preferred)
The rate of pay for the Assistant Teacher position is $19-$22 per hour, commensurate with experience. The position is full time (non exempt) during the six weeks of the program (8 am to 4 pm) and includes two Saturday morning family orientation events, several Spring planning meetings (dates TBD) and a week of training and prep prior to the program’s start. For ongoing staff, the position may also include participation in several Saturday morning year round family events during the 2018/19 school year.
Monday, June 17 - Friday, June 21 - Teacher orientation week and classroom set-up
Monday, June 24 - Friday, August 2 - Six-week program (no program on July 4 and 5)
Required Dates: Saturday, May 18, 2019 and Saturday June 1 from 9:30-12:30
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual in English/Spanish preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email a resume and cover letter, outlining your skills and experience (Word format, please) to Abby Rovner, Director of Horizons at San Francisco Friends School at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Horizons at SFFS Assistant Teacher”.
Horizons at San Francisco Friends School is an equal opportunity employer.