14 West 2nd Street
Title: Community Counselor
Work Location: Media Office
Reports to: Social Services Program Manager
The Domestic Abuse Project of Delaware County works to prevent domestic violence and empower victims to move towards self-sufficiency. DAP provides counseling, advocacy, legal services and emergency shelter.
The Community Counselor reports directly to the Social Services Program Manager, is a full time position and provides crisis and supportive counseling to safe house residents and survivors of domestic violence in the community. This position may have evening hours up to three nights a week-until 7pm.
Services at the Safe House
- Provide crisis intervention and safety planning for residents of the safe house during times of client crisis
- Provide crisis and supportive counseling to residents of the safe house during ongoing short term counseling
- Facilitate support groups with residents on a weekly basis
- Facilitate financial empowerment workshops
- Shelter intakes as needed
- 24-hour hotline coverage as needed
- Residents service plan with case managers
Services in the community
- Assist with community outreach events and programming as needed
- Attend relevant community meetings as requested
- Provide crisis intervention, safety planning, and supportive counseling to DAP clients in the schools and community as needed
- Maintain knowledge of other providers within Delaware County so as to provide appropriate information and referral
- As assigned by Safe House Manager and Social Services Program manager and may include additional services requested at the main office as needed
- Must have a valid driver’s license, the ability to walk up a flight of stairs, and the ability to lift 25 pounds
- Attend Counseling Department and Safe House Department Supervision on a weekly basis
- Pass federal background and children abuse clearance check
- Complete chart documentation in a timely manner
- Submit monthly counseling statistics
Educational Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work and Counseling or a related field. Master’s Degree strongly preferred, in Social Work, Counseling.
Knowledge/Skills Required: Good oral and written communication skills; ability to work well in a multi-disciplinary setting with staff, volunteers and clients of diverse backgrounds; personnel management skills. Must complete 45 hour Domestic Violence training.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org