180 N. Wabash
About One Million Degrees:
THE CHALLENGE: 65% of Illinois public college students attend community college, but only one in five of them will graduate with a degree within three years. One Million Degrees (OMD) changes that.
THE SOLUTION: OMD is the only organization in Illinois and one of few in the country dedicated to providing comprehensive supports to low-income, highly motivated community college students to help them succeed in school, in work, and in life.
From tutors and coaches to financial assistance and professional development, OMD offers the support that empowers Scholars to transform their lives and those around them for generations. OMD Scholars graduate at twice the state average with the skills and experiences necessary to launch economically mobile careers.
Currently in its 12th year of programming, OMD continues to expand the number of Scholars it supports to be a catalyst for change in Chicago. OMD partners with 10 Chicago-area community colleges, serving over 800 Scholars across the region in the 2018-2019 academic year and aiming to expand its programming next year.
One Million Degrees is seeking an entrepreneurial Career Advancement Coordinator to lead the implementation of OMD’s apprenticeship partnerships with Chicago-area employers and community college partners. Playing a critical intermediary role between college, employer, and apprentice, the Career Advancement Coordinator will provide direct coaching and support to multiple cohorts of apprentices, collaborate with employer and college partners to optimize the partnership implementation.
The Career Advancement Coordinator will adapt the OMD program model and materials to fit within the apprenticeship framework and will continually document both challenges and solutions as they arise across the apprenticeship programs, ultimately producing a set of best practices to be shared across the city and nationally.
The Coordinator will also develop OMD’s signature scholar career development support. The ideal candidate is a proactive self-starter, able to develop and manage multiple initiatives at once. The successful candidate is a goal-oriented, high-energy team player with a passion for people and the transformative power of education and opportunity. Relationship management, creative thinking, problem-solving, and a can-do attitude are highly valued. One Million Degrees is a friendly, diverse office with ambitious goals and a relentless drive to achieve them. Join our dynamic team of talented, hard-working individuals who believe that a single degree can change the world.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
Provide Direct Coaching and Support to Apprentices
- Using OMD’s scholar development and support values, methods, and practices, provide direct coaching support to apprentices during frequent virtual and in-person check-ins, building apprentice’s capacity to excel at work and at school
- Track all interactions, goals, and commitments to success in OMD’s database; track early warning indicators and all available information regarding apprentices’ performance at work and at school
- Liaise with apprenticeship partners, including the employer’s human resources and talent development team to address any challenges and development needs that emerge
- Ensure that apprentices are becoming fully immersed in the culture, norms, and expectations of their workplace and of their college
Partner with Employers and Colleges
- Collaborate with the employer and college implementation teams to coordinate implementation of the program, track apprentices’ progress, and identify and address issues as they arise
- Alert apprenticeship partners to performance and retention issues as early as possible; work collaboratively to design solutions
- Document best practices to build all partners’ capacity to seamlessly execute and scale future apprenticeship programs
Build OMD’s Brand within the Apprenticeship Space
- Keep abreast of labor market trends, research, and developments in the apprenticeship space
- Represent OMD and its role in the apprenticeship model at conferences, in workforce collaboratives, and in other relevant convenings.
- Assist with communications and public relations; continually build the larger OMD community’s understanding and knowledge of the apprenticeship model and OMD’s role
Lead OMD’s Signature Scholar & Alumni Career Development Initiatives
- Implement, track, and maintain OMD’s Signature Career Plan and Resource Guide for use by OMD Scholars, Alumni and Coaches. Continually make improvements and additions to the tool throughout the academic year.
- Plan and conduct career development-focused trainings and workshops for OMD program staff
- Develop and facilitate career-focused workshops for OMD Scholars and Alumni
Qualifications and Requirements:
Qualified candidates must have excellent project planning, relationship management, and communication skills, both verbal and written, and the desire to work collaboratively in a fast-paced environment. This position is ideal for a highly-motivated, entrepreneurial individual who wants to play a pivotal role in strategy and organizational development.
- A minimum of three years of professional experience, with experience developing and managing partnerships
- Experience having direct accountability for the achievements/outcomes of a group of individuals (caseload management experience is a plus)
- Bachelor's degree required
- Palpable passion for OMD's mission and the transformative power of education and opportunity
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong interpersonal skills and a proven ability to effectively build relationships with diverse audiences
- Appetite to actively contribute to OMD's friendly and diverse office culture
- Desire to work collaboratively in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to effectively design and manage multiple projects
- Results-orientation and a track record of operating as a highly organized self-starter
- Comfort and excitement around managing people and projects in an entrepreneurial setting
Compensation and Benefits for Full-time Employees:
- Salary – Commensurate with experience
- Health Benefits – Full health insurance for the employee, including medical, dental, and vision.
- Retirement Benefits – After 90 days, employees are eligible for a Simple IRA plan with matched contributions up to 3% of salary
- Professional Learning Opportunities – OMD supports employee development in areas relevant to professional and organizational goals and will pay for training such as workshops and conferences as agreed upon by employee and supervisor
- Paid Time Off – 3 weeks paid vacation plus 9 paid holidays
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience. Job Type: Union 1600
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Write “Your Name + OMD Career Advancement Coordinator” in the subject line of the email.
One Million Degrees is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation, and evaluate all candidates based on merit.