Middle School Core Academics Teachers (ELA, Math, Science, Social Studies)
- Job posted by Bronx Charter School for the Arts
Details: Compensation packages are competitive and commensurate with experience.
The Classroom Teacher is responsible for ensuring that all students achieve both academically and socially at high levels in his or her discipline. To that end, he or she:
- Plans purposefully in order to provide individual students with opportunities for constructing meaning and developing understandings of arts concepts.
- Utilizes developmentally appropriate and rigorous curricula and instructional materials that are tightly aligned to Bronx Arts’ benchmarks and New York State standards.
- Presents students with new ideas and concepts through a variety of strategies, and inspires and guides them to explore, express and uncover new ideas of their own.
- Administers, collects, and analyzes both qualitative and quantitative data gathered from a variety of assessments on each student.
- Reflects regularly on data from student assessments alone and with colleagues, administration, or students’ families in order to in order to inform his or her work, modify practices, and increase student achievement.
- Collaborates with inclusion teachers to design and execute individualized instructional plans for students with special needs in order to ensure they achieve academically at high levels, and are fully included in the Bronx Arts community; and, to foster a rich experience for all students in inclusion.
- Collaborates with the inclusion and Arts teachers in designing and co-teaching lessons that integrate the arts into other content areas and classroom routines when appropriate in order to promote the arts and improve student achievement.
- Builds relationships with his or her students’ families through regular communication about students’ progress and ways in which families can support their children’s learning.
- Researches, develops, and shares resources and materials with other staff members.
- Leads, in collaboration with the school’s leadership team, the promotion and implementation of the Bronx Arts Middle School Method and BASS the middle school’s Positive Behavior Intervention System. BASS is the driver of the effort to establish a school culture that reinforces the school’s mission, goals, and operating principles within all aspects of the Bronx Arts community including, but not limited to, the school’s high social expectations for students, its rituals, policies, and routines.
- Creates a classroom community that maintains the school’s high social expectations for students as defined by the Bronx Arts operating principles.
- Participates in the on-going effort to establish a school culture that reinforces the school’s mission, goals, and operating principles within all aspects of the Bronx Arts community.
- Collaborates with the other arts specialists, the Director of Arts, and staff members on the design and execution of school-wide performances, exhibitions, and family events that promote the arts
Human Resources and On-going Development
- Actively works to improve his or her own practice in order to acquire the skills and knowledge necessary for excellent instruction and to generally increase his or her effectiveness in the organization.
- Actively strives to embody the operating principles in his or her work.
- Operates according to the professional standards of the school, which are defined in detail within the schools’ staff policies and procedures handbook.
- Takes responsibility for the success of the organization by maximizing all opportunities to further the mission of the organization within the school, broader Hunts Point, and New York City communities.
Benefits include: Health, Paid Time-Off, Short-term Disability, Life Insurance, Commuter Benefit Program. Optional benefits include: Retirement Investment (403 Plan), Dental Insurance, Vision Plan, and Medical Flexible Spending Account.
Bronx Arts is an equal opportunity employer. Bronx Arts does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, disability, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin.
Level of Language Proficiency
- Bachelor’s degree in their discipline or related field. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum three years teaching experience in their discipline.
- NYS certification or pending in their discipline.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email resume and cover letter to Richard Gonzalez - email@example.com
Please include content area you are applying for in the subject line.