45 Wadsworth Avenue
Northern Manhattan Improvement Corporation (NMIC) is a community-based, not-for-profit organization founded in 1979. NMIC has grown into a leading multi-service agency with over 100 staff members serving New York City with a focus on upper Manhattan and the Bronx. Our mission is to serve as a catalyst for positive change in the lives of the people in our community on their paths to secure and prosperous futures. Integration is the cornerstone of NMIC’s programs and our staff can identify and address a broad array of immediate needs through comprehensive crisis intervention services. With their matters resolved, clients move seamlessly to capacity building services through our holistic programs designed to transition individuals and families to self sufficiency.
● Our Legal Services, Social Services and Weatherization programs meet community members’ basic needs including legal representation in immigration related matters, housing, financial services and health related matters.
● Our Community Organizing program empowers residents to collectively secure long term and larger scale improvements to their basic needs.
● Our Education & Career Services program imparts individual community members with the practical tools necessary to build secure and prosperous futures.
Job Title: Academic & Career Counselor, SNAP Employment & Training Program
Department: Education & Career Services Department
Reports To: Adult Career Services Program Manager
Location: Main Office: 45 Wadsworth Avenue, New York, N.Y. 10033
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
This is a case management position that reports to the Adult Career Services Program Manager and works closely with the Adult Career Services and Workforce Solutions teams. This position is responsible for overall case management of candidates in NMIC's SNAP Employment & Training (E&T) program.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Provide primary case management services for SNAP E&T candidates, including intake, assessment, goal setting, service planning, linkage and referrals, monitoring and follow up.
· Actively participate in candidate recruitment, screening, eligibility determination, and enrollment.
· Develop individual service plans with each candidates, set goals and plan engagement activities according to their service plan.
· Conduct weekly one-on-one meetings with candidates to review progress towards stated goals and to address candidates’ needs and challenges.
· Facilitate candidates’ connection with workforce solutions team members.
· Facilitate candidates’ enrollment in NMIC's vocational skills training and ESOL, ABE, and HSE programs, as appropriate.
· Provide referrals to internal and external resources to reduce candidates’ barriers to employment.
· Administer Test to Assess Basic Education (TABE) for the department.
· Facilitate food service and customer service trainings.
· Facilitate employment readiness coaching workshops in absence of the primary facilitator.
· Assist candidates in preparing their job search portfolio, including a resume and mock interview practice.
· Connect candidates to workforce solutions team for job search and job interviews and follow up on the outcomes.
· Engage candidates to ensure attendance in program activities.
· Conduct follow-up and provide employment retention services to candidates for a minimum of nine months after placement.
· Maintain comprehensive case notes, progress notes, and candidate case records with evidence of achieved outcomes.
· Perform quality assurance monthly to ensure compliance with recordkeeping and audit guidelines.
· Enter candidate demographic information, enrollment and attendance records, case notes, outcomes, and other required data in automated data management systems in a timely manner.
· Perform data entry in various online internal and external data management platforms.
· Attend staff meetings and other programmatic activities as needed.
Additional related responsibilities may be assigned.
· BA/BS required in human services, social work or a related field and at least one year of experience in a social services agency. Equivalent experience may be considered in lieu of BA/BS.
· Bilingual (English/Spanish) strongly preferred.
· Exceptional attention to detail, highly organized.
· Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
NMIC offers a competitive salary based on experience and education as well as a comprehensive and generous benefits package: medical, dental, life, and disability insurance are included; paid time off, including 20 vacation days, 15 sick days, 5 personal days, and 12 agency holidays; a 401k with agency contribution; and other benefits.
NMIC IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
NMIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively encourages candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply for employment. Applicants must meet the minimum qualification requirements. A combination of education and experience will be considered unless specifically stated otherwise.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual in Spanish and English.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please address all applications to Esperanza Cruz, Adult Career Services Program Manager, at email@example.com with the job title in the subject line and include the following:
● Cover letter
● Salary requirements
All attachments must be submitted in Word or PDF format. No telephone calls, please.