Intro/Program Description: Goddard Riverside Community Center (GRCC) Learning to Work (LTW) for Transfer Schools Program at Edward Reynolds West Side High School provides students over-aged and under-credited ages 16 -21 with services and opportunities to foster engagement through academic and personal development that lead to earning a high school diploma. Primary goals include getting students to graduate with realistic and meaningful post-secondary plans, gain knowledge and skills that will increase the employability and awareness of post-high school opportunities available to them. Some opportunities include higher education, trade/technical schools and community service programs. Using the Primary Person Model, each student has an LTW Staff Member as a support to minimize and/or remove barriers toward graduation including engaging students in college preparation, and meaningful career exploration including subsidized internships, academic and personal support services to increase self-direction and self-sufficiency.
Purpose of Position: The LTW Assistant Director provides supervision & leadership of the Goddard Riverside LTW program, in collaboration with the Program Director, to ensure smooth day-to-day running and supervision of program staff and services in accordance with all program goals, targets, and performance outcomes and adhere to all GRCC program policies, procedures, and protocols. The Assistant Director provides oversight and coordination of the student intake process, attendance improvement, individual and group counseling services, case management, advocacy, referrals and crisis intervention for students. The Assistant Director will also provide capacity building towards evidence-based and best practices in delivery of services to ensure positive program engagement of LTW team and students.
Schedule: Monday through Friday - 9am to 5pm and some evening and weekends
Goddard Riverside and Isaacs Center are required to follow the Orders of the Commissioner of Health and Mental Hygiene which require all new hires to be vaccinated against COVID-19.
Role, Responsibilities, and Essential Duties
- In conjunction with Program Director, provide supervision and support to staff
- Oversee the counseling, new student intake, attendance improvement, family engagement, and student advocacy within the Learning to Work program
- Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate the counseling staff
- Be an active leader in developing a positive staff and participant culture
- Ensure that data entry and all required compliance documents and written tasks are reviewed, completed and submitted accurately and in a timely fashion
- Provide professional development opportunities to LTW team to ensure evidence-based and best practices to case management and counseling services to participants.
- With Program Director, create best practices for case management and support service to ensure high quality and demographic appropriate support.
Direct Service and Student Support Services
- Provide primary person services to a small caseload of participants as needed.
- Lead and facilitate student groups.
- Lead student intake process, including recruitment and the admissions process (open houses, intake interviews, new student orientation, parent orientations)
- Support students with improving attendance by identifying obstacles, providing referrals, and conducting attendance outreach, including home visits
- Providing crisis intervention and counseling for students as needed
- Partner with College & Career Counselor and Internship Coordinator for postsecondary planning, including college applications, financial aid, personal essays, and college visits.
- Help students identify interest, strengths and challenges in order to develop SMART goals and take advantage of opportunities for ongoing growth
- Record service/progress notes for students including but not limited to student interests and activities, SMART goals, attendance outreach, individual counseling, career and college advisement and exploration, service and volunteer activities, and other information as required by program.
- Assess for referrals to community-based support services for students and family members
Program Leadership & Collaboration
- Participate in creating a seamless web of support for the student that includes school personnel, family and community opportunities
- Design, plan, organize and manage program activities and special events to comply with contractual requirements.
- In collaboration with school leadership, LTW Program Director and ADED, develop program protocols and practices to strengthen student support
- Participate in the development of partnerships and organize special events with organizations and entities needed to meet recreational, cultural, social and emotional needs of program participants.
- Participate in advocacy and community building efforts as needed to bring visibility and voice for the program, school community and Goddard Riverside Community Center.
- Participate in all Goddard Riverside meetings and agency-wide events and activities as needed
- Complete tasks and/ projects assigned by LTW Program Director, ADED and DED.
- Master’s degree preferred; Social Work, School Counseling or Mental Health (strongly preferred)
- At least three years of experience working with adolescents, teens, and/or young adults
- Experience in leading programs and staff supervision strongly preferred
- Knowledge of evidence-based and/or Best Practices in working with adolescents
- Must obtain Department of Education fingerprint clearance and maintain throughout duration of employment.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Knowledge of trauma and approaches effective for teens and young adults
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to inspire and motivate young people
- Strong attention to detail and meeting deadlines
- Ability to establish and maintain relationship with DOE & partner organizations
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Knowledgeable or willing to learn web-based systems
- Fluency in Spanish is desirable
- Frequent walking and standing
- School Community
- Fast paced
- Team Oriented