About Us and Our Philosophy:
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) is a global nonprofit organization, established in 1896, devoted to eliminating death, injury, property and economic loss due to fire, electrical and related hazards. Our mission is to help save lives and reduce loss with information, knowledge and passion. We deliver information and knowledge through more than 300 consensus codes and standards, research, training, education, outreach and advocacy; and by partnering with others who share an interest in furthering our mission. To learn more about NFPA, please visit www.nfpa.org
NFPA is an equal opportunity employer and as such, we do not discriminate against any team member or candidate because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, or any other basis protected by law. We encourage all to apply because we believe a diversity of voices leads to better discussions, decisions, and outcomes for everyone.
NFPA is seeking an innovative team builder to lead all functions within our Public Education and Wildfire group, which develops easy-to-use educational programs, tools and resources for all ages and audiences. The Senior Director, Public Education will serve as the primary public education expert at NFPA and lead a passionate and skilled staff team that is responsible for all internal and external public education messaging and program development. This leader will also be responsible for leading relationships that will help us grow our impact, including our exciting new partnership with the National Center for Fire and Life Safety.
Your Contribution and Position Outcomes
A successful Senior Director, Public Education will:
· Shape the overall Public Education strategy, which will include developing innovative strategies for delivering NFPA’s knowledge directly to consumers as well as ensuring the continued excellence of our traditional public education programming
· Foster cohesion and collaboration across our Public Education and Wildfire staff, managing a team of committed professionals to achieve NFPA’s public education goals
· Lead the partnership between NFPA and the National Fire and Life Safety Center, ensuring the integration of NFPA’s activities into the Center’s new public education exhibit, the NFPA Heroes Experience
· Ensure consistent messaging surrounding Public Education across all NFPA platforms
· Represent NFPA to a wide variety of audiences, including fire and forestry professionals, local and state officials, consumers and residents, the media, and partner organizations
· Contribute to NPFA’s efforts around Community Risk Reduction
Level of Language Proficiency
As the incoming Senior Director, Public Education, you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- You have demonstrated knowledge and experience when it comes to educating the public and your outreach practices are innovative and fresh. You are excited by the ways in which evolving technology and social practices can support new ways of reaching the public.
- You have experience in driving strategic change processes, with the ability to translate a vision into an actionable plan and guide a team to carry out this plan. You bring experience in building new programs or scaling existing ones.
- You understand learning theory and modalities appropriate to working with audiences of all ages, and the idea of applying that knowledge cross-culturally and in a global setting gets your heart pumping.
- You have a passion for working with a wide range of stakeholders and demonstrate the ability to quickly learn and build relationships in new communities. You are a strong communicator and comfortable serving as both an internal- and external-facing leader.
- You are familiar with, or demonstrate a strong interest in, Community Risk Reduction practices.
- You are an experienced manager, with past success in supervising teams and managing budgets.
- You are curious and want to understand the mission and goals of NFPA and how you can make an impact as part of our team.
- You are comfortable in a highly mobile organizational culture, traveling up to 30% time and managing a team across several locations.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Join Our Team:
Please upload a resume alongside a thoughtful and targeted cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, addressed to Lorraine Carli, Vice President of Outreach and Advocacy, at http://commongoodcareers.force.com/careers/ts2__Register?jobId=a0K1L00000otisx&tSource=
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
About our Partner: Commongood Careers
NFPA has partnered with Commongood Careers to conduct the search for a Senior Director, Public Education. Commongood Careers is a mission-driven search firm that supports the hiring needs of high-impact nonprofits. With an approach that leverages robust talent networks, recruitment and search management expertise, and a deep understanding of our clients’ missions and cultures, we help organizations secure the talent they need to create greater social impact. Since our founding in 2005, Commongood Careers has led more than 800 searches at 300 organizations in 33 states, making us one of the most experienced and dedicated nonprofit search firms in the country. Learn more about nonprofit job opportunities at Commongood Careers.