Details: Paid $15/hour
641 S Street Northwest
District of Columbia
The Nuestra Voz Program Associate is a new role within the organization. The person in this position will play an important role in helping the foundation develop and expand our bilingual English/Spanish Writers in Schools programming as well as deepen our relationship with Latinx writers, educators, and students, regardless of language background. This is an excellent part-time opportunity to work closely with a small, dedicated team within a nationally renowned nonprofit to help build a program from the ground up. The person in this role will be expected to work 24-30 hours/week
- Develop a bilingual English/Spanish WinS programming expansion plan with particular attention on writers who identify as Latino/a/x, and that is aligned with department strategy and growth goals.
- Develop and build relationships with partner educators at bilingual DC public, charter, and Title I parochial schools; Oversee WinS programming at these schools.
- Develop and build relationships with Latino/a/x authors, both within and outside of the DC/Maryland/Virginia area.
- Conduct research on books, authors, and publishers for the program.
- Provide written and verbal translation support to the WinS program, both English-to-Spanish and Spanish-to-English.
- Maintain database of educator, school, and author contact information.
- Coordinate scheduling and booking logistics for bilingual/Latino/a/x author WinS visits.
- Manage one part-time Spanish Language and Latinx Communities intern per cohort.
- Support PEN/Faulkner events, including Literary Conversations and awards, as requested.
- Other duties as assigned, within a reasonable scope for the position
- Must be fluent in written and conversational Spanish and English.
- Experience working with bilingual youth from under-resourced backgrounds, preferably in a classroom setting.
- Experience working with K-12 literacy, in either English or Spanish, and working knowledge of developmental milestones in reading comprehension.
- Experience directly supervising interns, volunteers, or staff.
- Experience with direct outreach to Spanish speaking communities, preferably within the education sector (teachers, administrators, students, parents).
- Proven attention-to-detail. Database experience a plus.
- Proven ability to organize and prioritize daily and long-term projects and tasks.
- Experience with translation from English-to-Spanish and Spanish-to-English, both orally and in writing.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite and GSuites.
- Demonstrated understanding of the complex education landscape and of education policy, especially in DC.
- Demonstrated understanding of the current world of bilingual publishing in the U.S. and of Latinx authors is a huge plus.
- Love of reading and creating avenues of accessibility to reading and book ownership among traditionally underserved communities.
Level of Language Proficiency
Must be fluent in written and conversational Spanish and English.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please send an email to email@example.com. Please put “Nuestra Voz Program Associate” in the subject line. Your email application should include:
- a resume
- a statement of interest written in both English and Spanish, explaining what qualifies you for this position, what skills you bring to the position, and your experience and background in bilingual literacy education.